list of frequency of occurrences of text in a list

dnickelson

Board Regular
Looking to create a list of the number of times each text occurs within a list, as well as sort this list from most to least occurrences.
the list changes often and can contain up to 20 different text entries, but not necessarily any specific one

a
a
a
a
b
b
e
c
d
e
e
e
c
d
f
g

should return
a 4
e 3
b 2
c 2
d 2
f 1
g 1

am using an example I found on the board for another issue. This returns the text that occurs the most often easily enough, and with a little modification on the LARGE parameters, I can get the next few in line, but once it gets down to the 8th or 9th largest occurrences, and it starts to be only 3 or fewer entries, it starts flaking out, reporting more entries that really exist, not in a recognizeable order in the COUNTIF array (not recognizable to me anyway.

=INDEX(A$10:A$117,MATCH(LARGE(COUNTIF(A$10:A$117,A$10:A$117),C1),COUNTIF(A$10:A$117,A$10:A$117),0))

Any other ideas? the above was a Ctrl+Shift+Enter formula btw

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
also, the list can be different lengths, so I ran into problems with blank entries being counted in the frequency, which is something I will have to take into account as well, so will have to adjust the length of the search area, or counteract the empty cells somehow.

I can possibly fill this area with some hidden text to ignore or something, but any help there would be good too.

Upvote 0
If you use a straight countif formula
=COUNTIF($A$2:$A$19,A2)
This will give you the number of times each text entry occurs. You can then use advance filter, and click on the "Unique records only" check box to get your list.
Book1
ABCDE
1TextNumberTextNumber
2a4a4
3a4b3
4a4c3
5a4d5
6b3e3
7b3
8b3
9c3
10c3
11c3
12d5
13d5
14d5
15d5
16d5
17e3
18e3
19e3
Sheet1

Or you could crreate a pivot table, and do a count on the records instead of a sum.
Book1
ABCD
3CountofNumber
4TextTotal
5a4
6b3
7c3
8d5
9e3
10GrandTotal18
Sheet4

Richard

Upvote 0
Hi Richard:

In your PivotTable solution, the entries in column A and B can be sorted by Column B in descending order to give from the most to the least per OP's specification.

Upvote 0
dnickelson said:
also, the list can be different lengths, so I ran into problems with blank entries being counted in the frequency, which is something I will have to take into account as well, so will have to adjust the length of the search area, or counteract the empty cells somehow.

I can possibly fill this area with some hidden text to ignore or something, but any help there would be good too.
Hi dnickelson:

How do you want to handle the blank entries? -- do you want to disregard the blank entries with in a range of values? -- or do you want to count the blank entries as a type of item?

Upvote 0
The first solution looks closer to what I was going for, though I don't want to modify the original list and I was trying to stay away from so many helper columns, as I have several of these lists on different tabs to deal with. As far as the empty cells I should probably explain what i'm trying to do.

I have a database that lists items that have been transferred to certain groups, say group car, boat, train, plane. each group can have 0 to indefinite tickets, normally 0 to 10 to 30 items. I have a VBA query that pulls the results into a spreadsheet range. What I'm looking for is a side 'legend' that lists the number of items transferred to each group, and having the formula be sorted by default (formula just grabs the next in line on it's own) would be a definite benefit. The problem with the blank cells comes in where some items are not transferred to a group yet, their group field is blank in the database. I was thinking I could either make these blank cells contain a default value, and try rigging the formula to ignore "" in cells, or use some (xldown) command or something to have the range only search down to the used cells (most of the other columns will have something in the same row as the group, even if the group is blank.)

Sorry for the long winded explanation, though if it helps I could explain more.

Upvote 0
Hi dnickelson:

Thanks for the explanation. It appears what you are struggling with in regard to the blank cells is more a matter of design/architecture of your worksheet -- in terms of what are the implications in regards to group assignments and so on. It appears that you are considering all of those things and are perhaps struggling with some unknowns and trying to come up with a strategy to avoid potential conflicts in future. The spreadsheet is in Good Hands.

So, let us keep EXCELing!

Upvote 0
dnickelson said:
Looking to create a list of the number of times each text occurs within a list, as well as sort this list from most to least occurrences.
the list changes often and can contain up to 20 different text entries, but not necessarily any specific one

am using an example I found on the board for another issue. This returns the text that occurs the most often easily enough, and with a little modification on the LARGE parameters, I can get the next few in line, but once it gets down to the 8th or 9th largest occurrences, and it starts to be only 3 or fewer entries, it starts flaking out, reporting more entries that really exist, not in a recognizeable order in the COUNTIF array (not recognizable to me anyway.

=INDEX(A$10:A$117,MATCH(LARGE(COUNTIF(A$10:A$117,A$10:A$117),C1),COUNTIF(A$10:A$117,A$10:A$117),0))

Any other ideas? the above was a Ctrl+Shift+Enter formula btw

Some observations:

Combining LARGE with retrieval functions with duplicate values in the range of interest won't work.

In this thread, you expressed your wish not to have any helper columns. But you have to if you also consider the efficiency issue.

In what follows I describe a system of formulas that gives you the desired result -- a sorted list of distinct items along with the frequencies of occurrence.

Let A1:A19 on Sheet1 house the following sample, similar to yours:

{"List";"a";"a";"a";"a";"b";"b";"e";"c";"";"";"d";"e";"e";"e";"c";"d";"f";"g"}

where "" stands for an empty cell or a cell housing a formula returned "".

Insert a new sheet and name it, e.g., Support.

Lets first define BigStr...

Activate Insert|Name|Define.
Enter BigStr in the Names in Workbook box.
Enter the following in the Refers to box:

=REPT("z",255)

Click OK.

Support
dnickelson.xls
ABCD
4SortedListRank
Support

Formulas...

A2:

=MATCH(BigStr,Sheet1!A:A)

A3:

=A2-(CELL("Row",Sheet1!A2)-1)

A5, which is copied down...

=IF((Sheet1!A2<>"")*ISNA(MATCH(Sheet1!A2,Sheet1!$A$1:A1,0)),SUMPRODUCT((Sheet1!A2>OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$2,0,0,$A$3,1))+0)+1,"")

B3:

=COUNT($B$5:INDEX(B:B,A3+ROW(A5)-1))

B5, which is copied down...

=IF(A5<>"",RANK(A5,$A$5:INDEX(A:A,$A$3+ROW($A$5)-1),1)+COUNTIF($A$5:A5,A5)-1,"")

The next post shows Sheet1 along with the result list.

Upvote 0
Aladin Akyurek said:
The next post shows Sheet1 along with the result list.

Sheet1
dnickelson.xls
ABCD
1ListSortedListFreq
2aa4
3ab2
4ac2
5ad2
6be4
7bf1
8eg1
9c  
12d  
13e  
14e  
15e  
16c  
17d  
18f  
19g  
Sheet1

Column A houses the sample of interest.

B1 houses a formula for cosmetics...

="Sorted "&Sheet1!A1

B2, which is copied down...

=IF(ROW()-ROW($B$2)+1<=Support!$B$3,INDEX(Sheet1!$A$2:INDEX(Sheet1!A:A,Support!$A$3+ROW(Support!$A$5)-1),MATCH(ROW()-ROW($B$2)+1,Support!$B$5:INDEX(Support!B:B,Support!$A$3+ROW(Support!$A$5)-1),0)),"")

C2, which is copied down.

=IF(B2<>"",COUNTIF(Sheet1!$A$2:INDEX(Sheet1!A:A,Support!$A$2),B2),"")

This system would be fully automatic with code in VBA that would copy the required formulas down as far as needed.

The next post shows a simpler system if the distinct items need not be sorted.

Upvote 0
Aladin Akyurek said:

The next post shows a simpler system if the distinct items need not be sorted.
dnickelson withnosort.xls
ABCD
2List0DistinctListFreq
3a1a4
4a b2
5a e4
6a c2
7b2d2
8b e4
9e3c2
10c4d2
11 f1
12 g1
13d5  
14e6  
15e   
16e   
17c7  
18d8  
19f9  
20g10  
Sheet1

Formulas...

A1:

=MATCH(REPT("z",255),A:A)

B2 must house a 0.

B3, which is copied down...

=IF((A3<>"")*ISNA(MATCH(A3,A2:A2,0)),LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,$B$2:B2)+1,"")

C1:

=LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,B:B)

C3, which is copied down...

=IF(ROW()-ROW($C$3)+1<=$C$1,INDEX(A:A,MATCH(ROW()-ROW($C$3)+1,B:B)),"")

D3, which is copied down...

=IF(C3<>"",COUNTIF($A$3:INDEX(A:A,$A$1),C3),"")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back