Range Name

Aaron

Board Regular
If I import data into a sheet with Code, and Name the range with Code, how can I get the Name of the Range to change with the data? For instance if I import data into Range("A1:C100") and name it New, then import Data again and it takes up range("A1:C200"), how can I "New" to associate with the new range? Thanks for your help. -asa

On 2002-05-08 14:55, Aaron wrote:
No code is required... See the Data | Get External Data menu command.

I have never used that functionality before, any hints or tips?

What version of Excel are you using?
This message was edited by Mark W. on 2002-05-08 15:09

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
[/quote]

Excel 97

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-09 05:23, Aaron wrote:

Excel 97
[/quote]

Type Query in the Help files and should get you started.

this is one part but without the extra buttons for help:

Get external data by using the Query Wizard

1 Click the cell where you want to start the external data range.
2 On the Data menu, point to Get External Data, and then click Create New Query.
3 On the Databases tab, select the database from which you want to retrieve the data.

If you need to set up a new data source, double-click New Data Source, and then specify the data source.

How?

4 Make sure the Use the Query Wizard to create/edit queries check box is selected, and then click OK.
5 Follow the instructions in the Query Wizard.
6 To return the data directly to Microsoft Excel, click Return Data to Microsoft Excel, click Finish, and then select where you want to put the external data.

How?

To refine the query further, click View data or edit query in Microsoft Query, click Finish, and then make the changes you want. For more information about refining the results of a query, see Microsoft Query Help.

If you choose to refine the query further in Microsoft Query, the result set is displayed in Microsoft Query. If you want, you can return the result set to Microsoft Excel at a later time.

Notes

· You can check the status of a query that's running in the background and taking a long time to return data. While the query is executing, click Refresh Status on the External Data toolbar. To cancel the query, click Stop Refresh.
· For information about the kinds of queries you can create with the Query Wizard, click .

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-09 06:41, Ian Mac wrote:
On 2002-05-09 05:23, Aaron wrote:

Excel 97

Type Query in the Help files and should get you started.

this is one part but without the extra buttons for help:

Get external data by using the Query Wizard

1 Click the cell where you want to start the external data range.
2 On the Data menu, point to Get External Data, and then click Create New Query.
3 On the Databases tab, select the database from which you want to retrieve the data.

If you need to set up a new data source, double-click New Data Source, and then specify the data source.

How?

4 Make sure the Use the Query Wizard to create/edit queries check box is selected, and then click OK.
5 Follow the instructions in the Query Wizard.
6 To return the data directly to Microsoft Excel, click Return Data to Microsoft Excel, click Finish, and then select where you want to put the external data.

How?

To refine the query further, click View data or edit query in Microsoft Query, click Finish, and then make the changes you want. For more information about refining the results of a query, see Microsoft Query Help.

If you choose to refine the query further in Microsoft Query, the result set is displayed in Microsoft Query. If you want, you can return the result set to Microsoft Excel at a later time.

Notes

· You can check the status of a query that's running in the background and taking a long time to return data. While the query is executing, click Refresh Status on the External Data toolbar. To cancel the query, click Stop Refresh.
· For information about the kinds of queries you can create with the Query Wizard, click .

[/quote]
The only problem is that I can only download data that doesn't apply to Excel I think. Everytime I try to do get external data it gives me a read only error message. The extension of my file is .prn just a normal text file.

Upvote 0
http://www.gscpa.org/Chapters/Chapter_Data/Don Hunt CPE Power Point outline 1-19-2001.ppt

Ian,
I think you and I might be talking about two different things. I can create a macro to import the data that I need. However I was trying to get my Data range in the Code on the previous page to flow with the data that was imported. I will have more lines of data and possibly additional columns. I know a way to do this, but it will make my data range much to large. Anyway, that is my predicament.

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-09 07:24, Aaron wrote:
http://www.gscpa.org/Chapters/Chapter_Data/Don Hunt CPE Power Point outline 1-19-2001.ppt

Ian,
I think you and I might be talking about two different things. I can create a macro to import the data that I need. However I was trying to get my Data range in the Code on the previous page to flow with the data that was imported. I will have more lines of data and possibly additional columns. I know a way to do this, but it will make my data range much to large. Anyway, that is my predicament.

Try searching for 'Text Files' on this site, you should find what you need.

It's a widely covered subject, sadly I have never had the need for such a thing so don't have an answer beyond the above.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back