HELP! ANYBODY! KEep getting skipped over! I NEED HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

2clacaze

I can't get my inventory to work the way I want it to. I work for a powder-coating company, so our inventory is dry, colored powder, tracked in pounds. Right now it looks something like this:

Sherwin WilliamsBK0135
BK0347
RoddaGloss Black14
Midnight55
CardinalRAL 70116
RAL 711283
RAL 700317

<tbody>
</tbody>

The powder manufacturer is in the first column, with their respective colors ranked below each in the next column. The third column is the current weight, in pounds, on hand. I want to add another column to reflect daily powder usage, in pounds,

Sherwin WilliamsBK01357.5
BK0347
RoddaGloss Black144
Midnight5520
CardinalRAL 70116
RAL 7112836.5
RAL 7003170.5

<tbody>
</tbody>

And I'm fine to this point. Not all colors are used daily, and I don't subtract zero. But I want the form to update after I hit enter on each usage cell:
Sherwin WilliamsBK01357.5

<tbody>
</tbody>

*ENTER*

Sherwin WilliamsBK0127.5

<tbody>
</tbody>

I run into circular references when trying a =SUM('currentweight'-'usage')

This inventory is a mess! Someone please HELP!

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
I have no doubt that someone else here can come up with a VBA solution to this. I am not well versed in VBA and can't help you with that.

However, I really think you should be reconsidering how you have structured your file. It looks to me like you want to be able to enter your usage (a transaction) and then show the remaining inventory for the item. Right now, your data (the existing inventory and the usage) are the same cells as your report (how much inventory is remaining). You should separate your data from your report.

Recommendation:
1) Create a separate sheet (call it data, or entries, or transactions, or whatever you believe is best)
2) Have the following columns: Date, Manufacturer, Colour, Weight
3) Start by entering a starting balance for each Manufacturer and Colour.
4) Then enter a line for each usage
5) Enter positive weights for increases to inventory (received a shipment) and negative weights for decreases in inventory (usage)
6) An example table is below.

DateManufacturerColourWeight
xx/xx/xxxxSherwin WilliamsBK0135
xx/xx/xxxxSherwin WilliamsBK0347
xx/xx/xxxxRoddaGloss Black14
xx/xx/xxxxRoddaMidnight55
xx/xx/xxxxSherwin WilliamsBK01-7.5
xx/xx/xxxxSherwin WilliamsBK03-7
xx/xx/xxxxRoddaMidnight-10

<tbody>
</tbody>

Once you've done this, you can create a pivot table which will list every manufacturer and colour that you have available along with the remaining weight. Every time you update your data with a new entry, refresh the pivot table to view the updated weights.

If you'd like more help with this, I'd be happy to spend more time with you.

Upvote 0
The problem is that your idea of handling this may be flawed.

Let's say you type 7.5 and hit enter and the cell updates to 27.5. Now when you go back to that cell and hit enter again it will deduct another 7.5 out of your 27.5, so you are left with 20.

Please make a screenshot of your worksheet or use an html converter to show us what happens on your worksheet, this way we can find a macro solution for you. Otherwise use the suggestion from the above post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
just create another column where you do the 35-7.5, and paste values the result back to the original column when you are done. There is a also a simple macro you could write for this but probably not necessary in this case. Also, as mentioned by previous post, its not a very good approach because you are losing information doing this. I would recommend creating a time series instead. Maybe a sheet that has cumulative values and daily usage values for each color for each workday would be a more useful tool for you (keeps history and lets you trend stuff later)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've sent you a private message with an email you can use to reach me. I would recommend editing your post above to delete your emails as they can be picked up by spam bots.

Upvote 0
I've created a working file which you can use moving forward. Click the link below to download it. Please note that the link is only active for 30 days.

The file contains two sheets.

The first sheet contains all of your transactional data. For every IN and every OUT, you would add a line with all of the appropriate details (Vendor, Name, etc). You have to fill in every column on every line, and you shouldn't have any blank lines. IN's would be positive numbers and OUT's would be negative numbers. Note that there is also a column for colour. You do not need to keep a separate sheet for each colour like in the screenshot you sent me. You can if you'd like to, but I would recommend to keep everything in the same place. Remember, this is just your data, not the report, so you shouldn't be formatting it as a report. No colour coding, blank lines, etc to make it more legible.

The second sheet contains the report. This list all of your items with the total weight (all of the positives and negatives added up). You can use the filters (they are called Slicers) that are on the page to filter by colour, vendor, etc. I've also included some slicers on the first sheet to allow you to filter your transactions if you'd like.

I hope this works for you.

Upvote 0
Please refer to # 4 of the Forum Rules regarding taking questions off-forum.

The poster was unable to post a screenshot or attach a file (that post has been deleted). The off-forum part was simply to get that information. As you can see, I've posted my full response on the forum.

If this is STILL against the rules, please let me know how this should have been handled.

Upvote 0
I also apologize for rule bending. I'm not sure how to show my work here. Every time I go to post a screenshot, the only option i get is to paste from a URL...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back