Contents not fully displayed

terrypin

Why doesn't cell b6 get fully displayed (as 'Saturday 21 January 2017'), stretching into column C, like the cells above?

Excel-Cell-Confined.jpg

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Only string entries get stretched beyond the end boundaries of the cell. Numbers and dates do not.
Just expand column B to make it wide enough to display it.

Upvote 0
Thanks both.

@mole999: Guilty as charged! I knew I'd posted it before in an Excel Usenet newsgroup but I'd forgotten doing so here, sorry. Especially as I had a clearcut (albeit disapointing) answer. Premature senility suspected!

@Joe4: Can't do that because later rows use cols B - H for tables and other data.

Seems a surprising limitation IMO. I may try to use an OCR utility plus a script with my macro program. Or attempt a VBA macro.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Upvote 0
reduce the font size or format as d/m/yy

Upvote 0
@Joe4: Can't do that because later rows use cols B - H for tables and other data.
Formatting is a common problem when you try to do too much on a single sheet. What works well for one section limits you in another. Of course, you could use multiple sheets or different columns, but that is pretty obvious, so I assume that you already have a good reason for not doing so.

Another option that may or may not work for you is you could highlight cells B6 and C6 and use the "Center Across Selection" formatting option, and it will show the whole thing.

Upvote 0
OCR is designed to rebuild physical text from a picture, here you have the text in an optimal form ?

Upvote 0
OCR is designed to rebuild physical text from a picture, here you have the text in an optimal form ?

To get b6 in that screenshot I used OCR on the graphic text displayed bottom right of b6 in my earlier screenshot. (After using the macro I mentioned.)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back