Conditional Formatting

QldGuy

Hello

Is there a formula that will do the following?

I have a random number in each cell from B3 to B173 (between 0 and 45)

Id like the cells in A3 to A173 to change to FILL green if the cell next to it has a number of 1 or higher entered into it.

So if cell B15 has a number 7 in it, Id Like cell A15 to FILL with Green Color.

Not the worlds hardest question for you experts here, but ive tries to learn over the last 4 hours how to do it, but i dont think ill ever actually understand the stringlines of formula to make this actually work.

Your help is so much appreciated!

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Select cells A3 to 173.
Bring up Conditional Formatting, choose the formula option, and enter the following formula:
Code:
=$B3 >= 1
and choose your Green formatting option.
That should do it.

Upvote 0
Thank you so much, this works perfectly.

If the amount in the field is 0 or nothing, can i apply the same rule to the same cells to make them go red?

Upvote 0
Yes, you can apply multiple rules to the same cells with no problem.
Just note that order may matter, in some situations, as it will stop once it finds the first true evaluation per cell (you can re-order your conditions).
I don't think this will apply in your situation, because a cell cannot be both greater than or equal to 1 and 0 or blank at the same time, but it is just something to keep in mind for future reference.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Also, im new here, ive read the hundreds of lines of rules, but your a long term user, so please dont smash the new guy. I thought i did the right thing, now i know it wasnt. sorry

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also, im new here, ive read the hundreds of lines of rules, but your a long term user, so please dont smash the new guy. I thought i did the right thing, now i know it wasnt. sorry
I don't see any "smashing" going on in my reply. I simply asked a question (we see you are a noob!;)).

The general rule of thumb is this:
If it is a directly related follow-up to the original question (or dependent upon the original question), it is usually best to post it in the same thread (one of the main reasons being the people who replied initially may be you best source of help, since they knew enough to reply to your first thread).
If it is a brand new question, unrelated or not dependent to the first, then it is typically better to post it in a new thread.

What you really had there was the same question, just asking on one cell versus many cells. I would tend to say that is best to carry on in your original thread in that instance.

The "rule of thumb" is really intended for two purposes:
- To increase the chances of you getting help on your question
- To prevent parallel threads on the same (or similar) question, and prevent helpers from unnecessarily duplicating efforts

What I have seen some people do (and this is fine also), is start a new thread, but include a mention and reference to the other thread. It might start off something like this:
"I received some great help on this thread here, but now I want to take this even further and do x...".

There are pros and cons to that last method:
- Pro: Shows up as a new unanswered question, more people likely to see it
- Con: The people who helped you on the last question may be the most likely to help you since they are familiar with your question and answered the first time, but they may not see/stumble across this new question

Hope that helps clarify things!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back