Currency Converter

mrhartley

Hello,

As previously mentioned a few weeks ago, I have built my own currency converter and with Mr Excel's permission have placed a link for it in my signature below.

Currency converters are nothing new and this tool is not complicated or clever or intended to change the way we go on vacation but simply something I put together to satisfy my needs. That being to easily identify how much something has just cost me when buying abroad. Typically, how much was that meal or that beer or that cab ride. Whilst on vacation, it can take a while to get to know the foreign currency so I made this cut out and keep spreadsheet which you place in your wallet for this very reason.

I then decided to tidy it up a and make it public after a few business associates started using it for business travel and word spread around the company and now most of the sales team are using it for their business trips aboard.

Like I say, this was meant for my own personal use when I go on yearly vacation but after interest seemed to have flared, thought it would be good to put it here and get some feedback.

It was fun to put together (including the web site I built for it) and if you’re expecting MVP level coding and flawless software then you’re in for a shock. I am not looking for self gratification and would simply to love to hear on how it can be improved.

Hope you enjoy it and I have named this project Norris!

Regards
~Mark

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
I ahve to admit I fell at the first post - I selected UAE Dirhams, then went to "View Norris" and I got ZAR rates!

Ah - you rely on automatic calc - it may be an idea to add the following code to the main worksheet:

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

If Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual Then
    Application.Calculate
End If

End Sub

Thank you.

I have added that :)

Thank you for looking and the input.

~Regards
Mark

Hi

Other thoughts:

1. Have some way to control which currency is the "driver currency" or have two tables to show both CCYA/CCYB and CCYB/CCYA.

2. If you do the above you probably need some way to control the "step value" for CCYB - i.e. going up in single units for renmimbi is not going to be much use.

Hi

Other thoughts:

1. Have some way to control which currency is the "driver currency" or have two tables to show both CCYA/CCYB and CCYB/CCYA.

2. If you do the above you probably need some way to control the "step value" for CCYB - i.e. going up in single units for renmimbi is not going to be much use.

Hi, again thank you for the input but I admit, you lost me there :oops: :rolleyes:
Regards
~Mark

Hi

So currently yoyu have one table that shows pounds going up in steps and the equivalent in the other currency (lets assume AED). If you are starting of with a mental question "how many AED is £50" then your table is ideal, but if you are asking "How many £ is 1450 AED" then it is harder to read of your table. I was suggesting that you have two tables one for £ to AED, and another for AED to £. My second point was that the current table is sensible because pounds are quite "big" currency units, but if you created a new table for say renmimbi, then going up in steps of 1 is not going to be useful as it is so "small".

ttfn benm

Hi

Ah I understand you now.

Yep I had to pick what 'might' be the best view.

I find my reasoning very difficult to describe. The home currency (my currency) is static for the reason that if the local currency was static, I would never know what steps to use in the range that is displayed or even how big the range should be as I am never going to know in local currency how much I might spend.

My home currency range is of no particular ideal, other than that it should cover most of my buying habits.

So what you get is a rough guide to how much something costs as it wont be able to cover every break in either currency but so long I have included a wide range of my home currency, all should be covered in the local currency.

I agree that a second table with a switched view might be helpful then either can be printed based on personal preference.

I will take a look at that.

Thank you kindly
~Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back