25 yearsof Excel

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Thanks for the article Peter - very interesting - I enjoyed the comments as well; some were hilarious :)

Excellent article, 25 years already, I'm really getting old! (I used to work with Excel on DOS a century ago.)

One thing that jumps out at me from that article (good link by the way!)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
For instance, he says, some of the options in the “Paste Special” function still seem obscure. “We did them because it seemed really cool that we could,”
<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>
I wonder what he finds obscure about the Paste Special options? Perhaps “Column Widths” is a bit odd (although arguably useful if you ever remembered to use it!), but I think I could find a reasonable purpose for everything else!

Yeah, I wondered about that too. I think I've used everything except for Validation and Column Widths.

I've used Multiply but have yet to use Add...

Denis

I can’t say I’ve actually used all of them in “real life”, but certainly Add is one that crops up now and again for converting text to numbers over a large range of data. And, in fact, you could use any of the operations for the same purpose.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
I think, perhaps they could streamline it a bit more, e.g. what’s the point in having “Formulas and number formats” when you could have check boxes instead of radio buttons for selecting the parts of the data that you want. In all honesty, I have created a custom ribbon tab which covers all of the paste special items I use regularly as I find it annoying to have to go through the dialog window every time, but that’s not to say that the functions aren’t useful!!

I can’t say I’ve actually used all of them in “real life”, but certainly Add is one that crops up now and again for converting text to numbers over a large range of data. And, in fact, you could use any of the operations for the same purpose.
I use Multiply for converting text to numbers. One of those either / or settings I guess.
<o:p></o:p>
I think, perhaps they could streamline it a bit more, e.g. what’s the point in having “Formulas and number formats” when you could have check boxes instead of radio buttons for selecting the parts of the data that you want. In all honesty, I have created a custom ribbon tab which covers all of the paste special items I use regularly as I find it annoying to have to go through the dialog window every time, but that’s not to say that the functions aren’t useful!!
Yep, I know what you mean. I once tried to rewrite the charting wizard, but it turned out to be a much bigger job than I expected at the time.
Nothing wrong with trying to set up Excel as you want it ;)

Denis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back