Dynamic Export Table Name

UnysonElliot

Hi All,

I'm trying to export a table with a date attached to the end of it. I've seen a ton of examples on Google already but I can't get any of them to work for me. Currently I have tried it through the macro tool and in a module and no success.

Here's what I have in the module:

For the module I have the code and a Macro setup to RunCode calling Elliot()

Public Function Elliot()
Dim Current_Date As String
Dim File_Name As String
Current_Date = Format(Now(), “yyyymmdd hhmmAMPM”)
File_Name = “T:\GLOBAL INDUSTRIAL\Global Invoice Report\Global Invoice Shipment Report.xlsx-” + Current_Date + “.xls”
DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, “Global Invoice Shipment Report“, [File_Name]
End Function

When I run the Macro I get an error that says Compile error: Syntax Error. When I click okay the first line highlights in yellow.

4lQfp

When I try the Macro Builder using ExportWithFormatting

Object Type: Query
Object Name: Global Invoice Shipment Report
Output Format: Excel Workbook (*.xlsx)
Output File: T:\GLOBAL INDUSTRIAL\Global Invoice Report\Global Invoice Shipment Report&Format(Date(),"yymmdd")&.xlsx
Auto Start: No
Template File:
Encoding:
Output Quality: Print

This does not work either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
If you're using vba, you would want the file name to end in xlsx. You seem to be giving two file extensions (xlsx and xls) at the same time to the same file, which can't be right.

Also, vba doesn't use "+" for string concatenation. It uses "&"

Not sure what you're googling but make sure the sites are relevant for MSAccess VBA

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you're using vba, you would want the file name to end in xlsx. You seem to be giving two file extensions (xlsx and xls) at the same time to the same file, which can't be right.

Also, vba doesn't use "+" for string concatenation. It uses "&"

Not sure what you're googling but make sure the sites are relevant for MSAccess VBA

Thanks for your help. I have made the changes but still getting errors in VBA.

This is my code:

Public Function Elliot()
Dim Current_Date As String
Dim File_Name As String
Current_Date = Format(Now(), “yyyymmdd hhmmssAMPM”)
File_Name = “T:\GLOBAL INDUSTRIAL\Global Invoice Report\Global Invoice Shipment Report” & Current_Date & “.xlsx”
DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, “Global Invoice Shipment Report“, [File_Name]
End Function

When I run the macro that is RunCode, Function Name: Elliot(), it opens up the module and when I click in it I get the error of Compile Error: Syntax Error". When I click Okay it highlights the first line of the code in yellow and puts an arrow next to it. Not sure what my problem is here.

Upvote 0
What do you mean by first line of code?
I'm not sure if you mean the line starting Current_Date = ... or the line starting DoCmd ...

Offhand, it looks like you put brackets around File_Name which doesn't work if you mean to use the variable File_Name

Upvote 0
What do you mean by first line of code?
I'm not sure if you mean the line starting Current_Date = ... or the line starting DoCmd ...

Offhand, it looks like you put brackets around File_Name which doesn't work if you mean to use the variable File_Name

I took the brackets off and still getting the same error. It highlights the first line Public Function Elliot () in yellow. You can see it in the image that I attached.

Upvote 0
make it a sub:

Public Sub Elliot()

Also by the way I always leave the excel type empty:
Code:
DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, , “Global Invoice Shipment Report“, File_Name

Just on the reasoning that I have no idea what Excel9 is and it works using the default most of the time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also, be aware of the double-quotes.
I have seen issues where people copy code from the internet, and Access wants the completely vertical double-quotes (") and not the slanted ones (“).

Upvote 0
Also, be aware of the double-quotes.
I have seen issues where people copy code from the internet, and Access wants the completely vertical double-quotes (") and not the slanted ones (“).

Joe, I copied the quotes from an online code and Access didn't like the quotes. Replaced them with the correct quotes and it works! Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
[FONT=&quot]Joe, I copied the quotes from an online code and Access didn't like the quotes. Replaced them with the correct quotes and it works! Thanks for your help.[/FONT]
You are welcome!

Sometimes its those little annoying things which will drive you crazy like that!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back