Turn Linked Tables into Local Tables?

LaZyNala

Hi everyone :biggrin:

I vaguely remember reading a post on this forum regarding this, but I haven't had any luck finding it.

I need to copy all linked tables and paste them as local tables, then delete the linked tables. I need to also rename the copied tables if they've been renamed with the "1" after the file name due to duplication.

The reason I ask, I have a large number of linked tables in a shared network database. Occasionally, I need to create a copy of the FE that isn't linked but a stand alone copy for demonstration purposes (speed). I also provide this copy to corporate for review. In that case, the networked version isn't an option.

Considering how time consuming it is to manually copy over and rename all the tables, I would love to have some help with adding automation to the process.

Thanks in advance for any tips,
Jen

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
This code worked for me on an access linked table, however it should work fine regardless of the source. Another way to go might be to use docmd.transferDatabase not sure which is faster. The advantage of using sql is that you could limit the number of records copied on a huge table.

Code:
Sub copyAllLinkedTables()
Dim strLinkedTable As String
Dim strNewTable As String

For Each t In CurrentDb.TableDefs

'Assumes all linked tables are prefixed with "lnk"
    If t.Name Like "lnk*" Then
        strLinkedTable = t.Name
        strNewTable = "Copy_" & t.Name

'Copy data into a new table
        DoCmd.RunSQL "SELECT [" & strLinkedTable & "].* INTO [" & strNewTable & "] FROM [" & strLinkedTable & "];"
        'Delete the old table
        DoCmd.DeleteObject acTable, strLinkedTable
        'rename the new table
        DoCmd.Rename strLinkedTable, acTable, strNewTable
    End If
Next

End Sub

hth,
Giacomo

Upvote 0
Tyvm!

I'll try this out tomorrow morning when I get back to work and let you know how it goes :biggrin:

Jen

Upvote 0
I tried this and I'm receiving Run-time Error 3001: Invalid Argument.

What is so strange, it worked great for the first 4 tables.

When I debug, this is the line it hits the error on:

DoCmd.RunSQL "SELECT [" & strLinkedTable & "].* INTO [" & strNewTable & "] FROM [" & strLinkedTable & "];"

I have the code inserted into a module that I manually click on to run. I don't know if that may be where I'm having the problem?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Jen

Upvote 0
Update (SOLVED):

Why this happened I don't know. I'll have to investigate. But the problem was with 1 table. Each time it hit that table, it errored out. By going through and changing the "lnk*" criteria to match all tables but that one it went through perfectly.

I can live with manually doing 1 table until I figure out what's causing the problem there.

Thanks so much for the solution giacomo!!

Upvote 0
what was the name of the one table? You can change the if to say t.name like "lnk*" and t.name not like "the name of the table giving you problems" so that way you don't have to do them one by one...

Upvote 0
The problem was a corrupted record inside of the problem table. Once I made that discovery and fixed it, I ran it again on another linked copy of the db. Worked perfect.

Thanks so much!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back