Best Way To Learn Access

N1ka18

Hi, I am new to access, Can anyone Tell what is the best way to study access. I have found many books online, but it hard to make a choice. My current position is of an analyst, and I really require knowledge of databases, as well as having the ability to make a good report. If anyone knows some kind of video lesson it would be even better. Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Hi,

I think it is best to first read a book on "Database Design". From this you learn the fundamentals of database theory and design - data types, table structure, relationships, keys, indexes, data types, and query design. Then you can learn "Access" specific topics such as how to create forms and reports and how to use Access most effectively.

So books that seem good to me in database design are:
Database Design for Mere Mortals By Michael Hernandez
SQL Queries For Mere Mortals By Michael Hernandez
Relational Database Design Clearly Explained by Jan Harrington (oldie but good - straightforward)
Learning SQL by Alan Beaulieu (one of many good books aimed specifically at SQL)

Or try to find anything that looks like a college textbook for a class on database theory and design.

Access specific (these two books will tell you just about everything you really need to know, but I suppose I am out of date as there are new features in Access 2010 and 2013 that won't be covered):
Microsoft Office Access 2007 Forms, Reports, and Queries by Paul McFedries
Automating Microsoft Access with VBA by Mike Gunderloy and Susan Harkins

It is worth taking a class if you can do so - at your local college or community college. I prefer the structured design of a book, which takes you through what you need to know in an organized way. You could waste a lot of time trying to to do this over the web, though there are some good tutorials I'm not sure if they would have enough depth. So, in other words, I don't have any recommendations for videos.

Unfortunately, the actual first book I read I cannot find, cannot remember the title of, and is, in any case, almost certainly out of print. I wish I could remember and/or find it again as it was an excellent intro at just the right level of explanation. {sigh}

ξ

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply, I find It very useful. I looked trough Microsoft Office Access 2007 Forms, Reports, and Queries by Paul McFedries,and I think I will start with it. Also, I will reading Database Desig, because it just looks interesting. I was reading Access Bible, but It is good to look in when you want something specific. Anyway, thanks for advice.

Upvote 0
If you don't mind spending a bit of money (Very reasonable I'd say) then Lynda.com is a good starting point, they have over 50 courses on databases alone, plus several thousand on different topics. I myself, struggle with reading books trying to visualise what the authors are saying and I learn much quicker with watching video tutorials. Monkey see - monkey do, as they say.

HTH
Colin

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mm424

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back