PowerPivot - making connection between tables

Marusya_lam

Hi all, good day!

Thre are 2 tables exported in PowerPivot. For convenience it's SAP delivery with Names of products (from different Distributors) - "table 1" - and master-sdata table with matching Russian names of products/English names of prosducts - "table 2". So I want to make connection in PP between Names (table 1) and Russian names of Products (table 2). But I see error - [FONT=open_sans]"The relationship cannot be created because each column contains duplicate values. Select at least one column that contains only unique values". I checked 10 times in Excel (and also in MS Access making data model. The list of Russian mnames of products form tabble 2 is unique (I also TRIMed it in Excel JIC. Maybe somebody faced with the same problem?

Thanks in advance.

Maria[/FONT]

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Well, if nothing else, you certainly cemented that my next blog post will be about relationships :)

So, in a perfect world, you have a "data table" (where you have numbers, likes Sales$) and you have some lookup tables, where you have say, Product info or Geography info.

And these relationships are 1:many. A given Product... { Id=123, Name=Slippers } will only show up in your Products table one time, but you will have many sales for that product.

What you are trying to do is a many:many and that generally... no worky.

You really want to get your two tables.. into 1 table... before you get to power pivot. Power Query could likely help there if you aren't in SQL land.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

There were 9 non-printing characters which prevented to remove duplicates. Early I tried to remove it in usual Excel by 5 different methods. Only Pivot table through PowerPivot and DistictCount function helped me to find it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catterz66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back