Power Query - too inflexible?

Dan80

Appreciate that this is a more 'vague' question/statement, but do you all find that power query is very static and inflexible?

I am creating a report that requires over 20 steps in power query, however, the raw data has changed (2 columns condensed into 1 - this step outside of power query reduces data quantity by 90%) and because it has changed I have essentially got to start my whole report again from scratch.

The complication is that the change in data effects the very first few steps of the query, plus other queries, within PQ, are based on this query as well (that's a lot of queries!?!?!).

For you clever people out there, is it a case of "I don't know M language and if I did this would be easy to fix" or is it a case of PQ not being very flexible? Discuss, if you want to :)

Thanks, Dan

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Hi
Without your code it will be like a discussion about a spherical horse in vacuum. :)
Regards,

Upvote 0
Good point! After spending the entire day on the queries I have found that I am not that flexible! Figured out that I just need to get a better grasp of M. I was led to believe to PQ was great 'until source of data and/or structure of data changes' but after today's effort, found that a bit of 'tweaking the code' sorts any issues out.

Anvg, interested to know, how did you learn to use 'power'? Was it trial and error and failing that forums or something more structured? I am keen to learn so picking people's brain when I can! Thanks.
Dan

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back