Returning matches for surname and first name or initial

m_13

Thanks to everybody who is with me on this epic journey!

I now need to find the assets that belong to a person. They are stored in a worksheet in column A.

So far I have written this code which finds the first asset that belongs to a person whose surname is in C2:

=INDEX(RayAsset,MATCH(C2,'Assets from Ray'!D2:D75,0),1)

However, I really need to compare the last name in C2 to the surnames stored in column D of Assets from Ray and also the first name or initial stored in B2 to the first name or initial stored in column C of Assets from Ray so I find the correct match. I then need to list each of the assets found (which could be none, one or several).

The asset column contains an asset number or an asset number followed by an underscore and then extraneous data (such as sa000164_00127940119a). I just want the data before the underscore to be returned. Several results should appear as either as comma delimited or in separate cells in the row.

Can anybody help me? I have looked at the post on FuzzyLogic but it is memory intensive and so with over 2000 asset records to look through it may be too much. I have also looked at Erik's ARLOOKUP functionality which would have been perfect but needs Last Name to be in the left hand column which is a not possible for this project as the data is being pulled from elsewhere.

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Upvote 0
Thanks for the advice :)

So I've now managed to get a little further by moving the columns around and getting ARLOOKUP to work. As shown below by using ARLOOKUP all of the asset numbers assigned to somebody with the surname Anderson are shown and below the machines allocated to somebody with the surname Briddon:

Asset Matching

<TABLE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 2pt; PADDING-LEFT: 2pt; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Helv,Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=1><COLGROUP><COL style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; WIDTH: 30px"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"><COL style="WIDTH: 81px"><COL style="WIDTH: 107px"><COL style="WIDTH: 193px"></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD></TD><TD>A</TD><TD>B</TD><TD>C</TD><TD>D</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">1</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">PIN</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">First Name</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Last Name</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Machine Name</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">2</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">43366</TD><TD>Robert</TD><TD>Anderson</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">sa006990_488520524153, sa003112_00059a3c7800, sa000160_e09720524153, sa005356_001c25180403</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">3</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; TEXT-ALIGN: right">42445</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"></TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Briddon</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">itn10891_005056c00008, sa007082_500c20524153</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #00ff00; BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #00ff00; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: groove; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #00ff00; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: groove; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: groove; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fffcf9; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #00ff00; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: groove"><TBODY><TR><TD>Spreadsheet Formulas</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 border=1><TBODY><TR style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca"><TD>Cell</TD><TD>Formula</TD></TR><TR><TD>D2</TD><TD>=ARLOOKUP(RayAsset,C2,"Machine Name")</TD></TR><TR><TD>D3</TD><TD>=ARLOOKUP(RayAsset,C3,"Machine Name")</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Excel tables to the web >> http://www.excel-jeanie-html.de/index.php?f=1

But really I want to find the assets of the people who match the firstname and surname.

In the case of Rob Anderson it's these two assets (the other two belong to different Andersons):

Assets from Ray

<TABLE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 2pt; PADDING-LEFT: 2pt; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Helv,Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=1><COLGROUP><COL style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; WIDTH: 30px"><COL style="WIDTH: 127px"><COL style="WIDTH: 145px"><COL style="WIDTH: 217px"></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD></TD><TD>A</TD><TD>B</TD><TD>C</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">34</TD><TD>Anderson</TD><TD>Rob</TD><TD>sa000160_e09720524153</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">35</TD><TD>Anderson</TD><TD>Rob</TD><TD>sa005356_001c25180403</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

However, in the master spreadsheet he is listed as Robert Anderson:

Pool from HR

<TABLE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 2pt; PADDING-LEFT: 2pt; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Helv,Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=1><COLGROUP><COL style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; WIDTH: 30px"><COL style="WIDTH: 54px"><COL style="WIDTH: 158px"><COL style="WIDTH: 158px"></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD></TD><TD>B</TD><TD>D</TD><TD>E</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">714</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left">43366</TD><TD>Robert</TD><TD>Anderson</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Others are listed with only an initial followed by a . (for example R. Anderson).

I want to find all the near matches and bring back all of the assets for that near match. Ideally I want to show the matches found too so that I can see where there are problems, ie two variants of the name found.

I then want to shown only the section of the asset number before the _ (If there is one, some are stored cleanly) and separate these so I can use them in a mail merge for labels. Eventually there will be a set of labels per person with one label per asset with the name of the owner and their unique ID.

Hope the screenshots have made things clearer. Great tool!

Upvote 0
So I'm still working on this and am now using:

=MATCH(B2&"*",'Assets from Ray'!B:B,0)

which determined that there are 74 people called Robert or similar in the range (I think).

But then I tried:

=MATCH(C2&"*",'Assets from Ray'!A:A,0)

which suggests that there are 32 people with surnames of Anderson or similar and that just isn't correct.

Now I'm trying to work out how to join these together to find how many people have a first name like Robert and a surname like Anderson.

Not sure if it's going to help me in my quest though!

Upvote 0
I think I'm going to have to give this one up!

I've concatenated the names so I can use Fuzzy Logic but the problem I have now is that a) there are too many people who have data missing on the Asset spreadsheet and b) there are too many anomalies in the names:

Asset Matching

<TABLE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 2pt; PADDING-LEFT: 2pt; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Helv,Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=1><COLGROUP><COL style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; WIDTH: 30px"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"><COL style="WIDTH: 123px"><COL style="WIDTH: 137px"><COL style="WIDTH: 103px"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD> </TD><TD>A</TD><TD>B</TD><TD>C</TD><TD>D</TD><TD>E</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">2</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">37116</TD><TD>S. Routledge</TD><TD>Stuart Routledge</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">sa005200_001558caafcd</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">3</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">37466</TD><TD>Graham Robertson</TD><TD>Graham Robertson</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">sa005146_00059a3c7800</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">4</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">37924</TD><TD>David Higgins</TD><TD>Lynn Davidson</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">sa005321_001c251633e6</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">5</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">39303</TD><TD>Kevin Davies</TD><TD>Carl Davies</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">sa006609_001a6bd0e0d0</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">6</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">42249</TD><TD>C. Hawkings</TD><TD>Colin Hawkings</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">sa004955_4cef20524153</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">7</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">42274</TD><TD>Roger Parkes</TD><TD>Debbie Rogers</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">sa005038_001279c7b95e</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">8</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">42302</TD><TD>K. Burtoft</TD><TD>Keith Burtoft</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">itn08979_00059a3c7800</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">9</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">42436</TD><TD>T. Malster</TD><TD>Anthony Malster</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">itn09611_e6e120524153</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">10</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">42445</TD><TD>Kevin Briddon</TD><TD>#N/A</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">itn10891_005056c00008</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">11</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">42485</TD><TD>James Pugh</TD><TD>chris james</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">sa002889_00059a3c7800</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">12</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">42517</TD><TD>J. Reed</TD><TD>NORMAN SEGREE</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">itn09774_f2fe20524153</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">13</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">42764</TD><TD>M. Carr</TD><TD>Surinder Matharu</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">sa002883_502f20524153</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">14</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">42987</TD><TD>Jayne Webster</TD><TD>#N/A</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">itn11169_00059a3c7800</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">15</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">43535</TD><TD>Paul Morris</TD><TD>Richard Coutts-Morris</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">itn09805_00059a3c7800</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">16</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">764</TD><TD>Dilys Foster</TD><TD>#N/A</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">sa002999_00059a3c7800</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">17</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">823</TD><TD>Mike Clarke</TD><TD>#N/A</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">sa003938_020054554e01</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">18</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">830</TD><TD>Dominic Foster</TD><TD>#N/A</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">sa002999_00059a3c7800</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">19</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">836</TD><TD>D. Troughton</TD><TD>john broughton</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">sa003560_005056c00008</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I've tried having various levels of NFPercent but go too high and I don't pick up the people for whom I have only an initial. Go too low and I always get a match even when the person isn't present.

I'm going to have to improve the data of one part of the sheet to enable me to do this and the names bit from HR seems to be the obvious choice. Particularly as the lack of consistency there is one of my main problems.

Does anybody know if I can nest ARLOOKUP inside FUZZYVLOOKUP so I pick up all the assets that are found for that name?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chestertim

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back