Are the BI tools suitable for this problem?

Talisman of Death

hello

I have a particular issue I am working on as below. I basically have 2 tables from different datasets:

ERP - Table1
SalesOrder ERPCustomerID StartDate EndDate Qty Price Address

We are an IT company and have a separate database for customer usage etc:

OurProductPortal -Table2

Month ERPCustomerID ProductPortal ID BandWidthTotal
01/01/2014
01/02/2014
01/03/2014

ERPCustomerID would be the common to both tables - although the lists of customers on both databasses might not fully match.
Qty field from Table1 will be analysed vs BandWidthTotal Table2 over time

Table2 Month shows first day of month, but it actually relates to the whole month

The Tables have many other fields, but its not relevant to mention more here

The issue: can I relate Qty purchased to Bandwidth used on a monthly basis using BI Tools? The issue:

1)Table1 has start/end date column but Table2 has a month column
2)Table2 is by ERPCustomerID, but Table1 is by Sales Order, which then includes ERPCustomerID. 1 Sales Order may have several lines (1 per service), and there are also >1 Sales Orders for any specific customer.

Keep as separate tables? Combine?

I had a few thoughts without using BI tools:

Add columns to Table1 ---- 1 for each month - so 12 columns for a year.Then put "Yes" or "No" for whether the contract was in place in that month. The problem now is that PivotTables don't recognise all the date columns as being related to each other or the single Month column in Table2. I have to drag columns 1 by 1 into the PivotTable, and it sorts them alphabetically on the string name rather than in Date order.

Expand Table1: Append 1 column called "Month" in Table1. Then recreate the row for each month, just updating the month. So I would have say 12 rows per Sales Order over a 1yr period.
This is a bad idea - too much duplicated data, and data set will quickly become too large.

The other way is to append columns taken from Table1 to Table2. This would be much easier, possibly more logical. But the big problem is that some customers are on 1 table and not the other - and vice versa. I want Table1 data to be the master list not Table2.

I have heard PowerPivot might be able to handle this - is that true? It could relate tables by CustomerID, mash the data per month, when Table1 does not have a Month field?

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
So, the short answer is "yes, powerpivot can handle all this". It's probably a bit more complicated than your average "I'm just learning powerpivot" problem, but you will certainly know a lot by the end :)

Typically you end up with a separate calendar table (if nothing else, because the time intelligence functions like "Year to Date" require one). Likely you will have one as well, and that is where your Month field will come from. Probably a separate Customer table as well (as your other 2 tables sound more like fact tables that can have multiple CustomerID).

In general, in power pivot, "no, don't combine tables".

Upvote 0
So, the short answer is "yes, powerpivot can handle all this". It's probably a bit more complicated than your average "I'm just learning powerpivot" problem, but you will certainly know a lot by the end :)

Typically you end up with a separate calendar table (if nothing else, because the time intelligence functions like "Year to Date" require one). Likely you will have one as well, and that is where your Month field will come from. Probably a separate Customer table as well (as your other 2 tables sound more like fact tables that can have multiple CustomerID).

In general, in power pivot, "no, don't combine tables".

Thanks for your reply - I was thinking that combining tables was a bad idea, but isn't straightforward. I asked on this forum because I was thinking of trying M.S. B.I. tools to see if I got anywhere - just wanted to know if it was going to be possible before I started all the effort.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinkdrummer

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back