Chart information reporting add-in?

rd18010

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have two broader questions stemming from the one I asked last year in "J-Walk Chart Tools alternative?"
where I found the the free standalone Walkenbach "J-Walk Chart Tools" was too out of date to work with modern Excels.

Other threads show that his commercial Power Utility Pack (PUP 7) product is no longer available.
So, Walkenbach's "Chart Report" add-in is no longer available to newcomers.
(It produces a detailled report that documents a chart's many settings, or produces a report that documents all charts.)

In the meanwhile, has anyone written a similar chart documention tool?

I have not found any similar add-in out there, and was attempting to simply use screen shots to record some of my charts customized settings, in Excel 365, but found that what the Options screen showed was wrong.
E.g., Format Axis, Axis Options, Axis Position, showed the radio button for "Between tick marks" selected, when in fact the chart had "On tick marks" actually.
Also, it didn't show my Text as having a Custom angle.
So I can't even trust Excel's GUI. (Is this a known problem?)
Yet somehow the chart itself was displaying OK.

What I should have done at the time I was setting those options was take the screen shot immediately, but I had thought I could come back later and do that.

And even if PUP7 was available, but not being updated, would it have new capabilities that Excel gets, like its own native ability like 2013's Labels from range option “Value From Cells”?

Recapping:
1. Is there an add-in that documents all the custom settings that have been done to a chart?
2. If so, will it report them correctly, as the chart displays, or the wrong/default settings that the GUI displays?

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Meanwhile, I did what I should have done last year, and asked Jon Peltier if he would consider doing an equivalent tool, and he replied that he would, as he has done some similar work already. He asked what kind of information I would like to see.

So if anybody else wants a modern update to the J-Walk Chart Report tool, please let Jon know what they would like to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Contact information for Jon Peltier, of Peltier Technical Services, can be found at his "About the Author" page.
His company is well known for the chart tools it sells, that are highly regarded.

Upvote 0
I contacted John Walkenbach and asked if I could publish an update to his Chart Tools, for the features that are still not built into Excel. Particularly for the Chart Report feature. He gave me his blessing.

Read about it here: JWalk Chart Tools.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back