Data validation: Conditional response setup not flagging errors

kdorian

I am trying to set up data validation for a report, but two columns aren't flagging blank cells they it should.

The "Blank" list is the title and one blank cell below it. The AcceptReason has four selections below the title, and the RejectReason has ten. Column I has data validation for length.

1st condition, in column K: =IF($I2="",Blank,Status)
What it's supposed to do: If the cell in column I is blank, then "Blank" list, else from "Status" list. ("Accept" or "Reject")

2nd condition, in column L:
=IF($I2="",Blank,IF($K2="A",AcceptReason,RejectReason))
What it's supposed to do: If the cell in column I is blank, then "Blank" list, else response from either "Accept" list or "Reject" list, based on what is in column K

But if I put something in a row in column I, and leave K & L blank, it doesn't flag K or L as errors. What am I doing wrong?

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
That's not how data validation works. It will not rescan those cells every time something else changes and indicate an error. The only time the data validation rule is checked is when the entry in the cell containing the rule changes. Am I understanding your question correctly?

When you put something in I2, do you get the expected dropdown list in K and L?

Upvote 0
My apology, I phrased that poorly. If I enter the data as described and then have invalid data circled, it does not show as a circled cell.

I do get the expected dropdowns in K and L. It's just not flagging any cells as invalid when I select "Circle Invalid Cells," which is what I need it to do. The data I will be checking isn't going to be caught on entry, as it is copied and pasted from another workbook that I can't change the validation on. (That workbook doesn't flag multiple types of errors and does flag hundreds of valid cells, making it almost completely useless.)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patupaiarehe

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back