Date/Lookup/Reference Help

speth

I have a calc sheet with several items, but for brevity's sake, I have dates for the entire year listed down Column A, and values corresponding down Column B.

I'm trying to call up a reference from another cell, say C1, that will say either "given XXX date, the Column B value is YYY", where I can input the date that's being searched for in C2, or I can have it reference NOW().

I'm at a loss for this one, not even sure what angle to approach it from. Any suggestions?

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
In E2 enter the formula I posted without the curly braces ({}) then hold down the shift and ctrl keys and press Enter - you should now see that Excel has added the curly braces. Copy that formula down col E to cover all the Items in col D.

thanks again Mr. JoeMo & Mrexcel, great full to you, it's really helpful to me finally i have done it,

once again, can you tell me? how can i do it through VBA macro in Excel.

Upvote 0
thanks again Mr. JoeMo & Mrexcel, great full to you, it's really helpful to me finally i have done it,

once again, can you tell me? how can i do it through VBA macro in Excel.
Assuming your data are arranged as shown in Post #8, this macro will return the output you want in cols D & E (those columns should be empty before you run the macro.).
Code:
Sub FindLastDate()
'Assumes Items in col A starting in A2, Issue Dates in col B
'Output will be in cols D & E
Dim lRA As Long, lRD As Long, Ra As Range, Rb As Range
lRA = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Range("A1:A" & lRA).AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterCopy, copytorange:=Range("D1"), unique:=True
lRD = Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
If lRD = 1 Then Exit Sub
Range("E1").Value = "Last Date"
Set Ra = Range("A2:A" & lRA)
Set Rb = Ra.Offset(0, 1)
Range("E2").FormulaArray = "=MAX(IF(" & Ra.Address & "=D2," & Rb.Address & "))"
With Range("E2:E" & lRD)
    .FillDown
    .Value = .Value
End With
Columns("D:E").AutoFit
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
Assuming your data are arranged as shown in Post #8, this macro will return the output you want in cols D & E (those columns should be empty before you run the macro.).
Code:
Sub FindLastDate()
'Assumes Items in col A starting in A2, Issue Dates in col B
'Output will be in cols D & E
Dim lRA As Long, lRD As Long, Ra As Range, Rb As Range
lRA = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Range("A1:A" & lRA).AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterCopy, copytorange:=Range("D1"), unique:=True
lRD = Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
If lRD = 1 Then Exit Sub
Range("E1").Value = "Last Date"
Set Ra = Range("A2:A" & lRA)
Set Rb = Ra.Offset(0, 1)
Range("E2").FormulaArray = "=MAX(IF(" & Ra.Address & "=D2," & Rb.Address & "))"
With Range("E2:E" & lRD)
    .FillDown
    .Value = .Value
End With
Columns("D:E").AutoFit
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Thanks again,
Once again new problem, when i updated new data it will not work automatically ?

Upvote 0
Thanks, Mr. JoeMo for your nice cooperation, Thanks, also mReXcel.com Once again new problem, how can i do it to using tow sheet. Like one sheet is for Data and another sheet for report. i need my data in report sheet. and it will work automatically?

Upvote 0
Thanks, Mr. JoeMo for your nice cooperation, Thanks, also mReXcel.com Once again new problem, how can i do it to using tow sheet. Like one sheet is for Data and another sheet for report. i need my data in report sheet. and it will work automatically?

If you have already converted the code in post #14 to a worksheet_change event code, just copy and paste it to the second sheet's code module.

Upvote 0
If you have already converted the code in post #14 to a worksheet_change event code, just copy and paste it to the second sheet's code module.

thanks, I think i did not express clearly, I have some data in one sheet1, Like "Items" col A and "Issued Date" col B, i have another sheet name "Report", in report sheet col A i will write some "items" Name and Col B show last issued Date from sheet 1? hope u understand ? (USE in VBA)

Upvote 0
thanks, I think i did not express clearly, I have some data in one sheet1, Like "Items" col A and "Issued Date" col B, i have another sheet name "Report", in report sheet col A i will write some "items" Name and Col B show last issued Date from sheet 1? hope u understand ? (USE in VBA)
This is sheet code for the Report sheet. Assumes the data for items and issue dates is in a sheet named "Sheet1". When an item name is entered in the Report sheet in col A, the last issued date for that item will be returned in col B of the Report sheet. Be sure to format col B as Date.

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim c As Range
If Not Intersect(Target, Columns("A")) Is Nothing Then
    With Application
        .EnableEvents = False
        .ScreenUpdating = False
    End With
    For Each c In Intersect(Target, Columns("A"))
        If Not IsEmpty(c) Then
            With c.Offset(0, 1)
                .FormulaArray = "=MAX(IF(Sheet1!A:A=" & c.Address & ",Sheet1!B:B,""""))"
                .Calculate
                .Value = .Value
            End With
        End If
    Next c
    With Application
        .EnableEvents = True
        .ScreenUpdating = True
    End With
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks for Quick reply, Your so great also. May be I bother lot. I am new that why i understand very poor. your reply NO#14 work nicely but reply no#19 not work in my sheet, i coped that another sheet, but when i run it Excel reply Macros box, plz help me

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArturS75

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back