Deleting all cells that contain any cell from another sheet

SirHart

Thank you in advance! I certainly appreciate the help with this.

Using Excel 2003, I have a huge list of one word text that are all in the first column. I also have a "Do not use" list that has a smaller list of one word text all i nthe first column. I want to be able to (without using VBA) remove any cells or blank any cell in that column of the huge list if it contains any cells that are in "Do not use" list.

First list:
A1: john
A2: stacy
A3: Katrina
A4: tim
A5: josh
A6: jason

Do Not Use List:
A1: stacy
A2: jim
A3: jason

My lists are MUCH larger. Is there any way to use this Do Not Use list to delete all cells that have the same text in the Large List?

Thank you!

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
If anyone knows a way to do this using VBA, that could work too! I just don't use it much so you'll have to fill me in on how to do it.

Upvote 0
Without VBA, it's going to be a process of a few steps..

If the first list (list to delete values from) is on Sheet1,
And the Do Not Use List is on Sheet2

In Sheet1, B1 put
=ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1,Sheet2!$A:$A,0))

Then use AutoFilter to filter Sheet1 Column B for TRUE

Then delete all visible rows.

Upvote 0
Here is a macro that will do what you want...

Code:
Sub RemoveNames()
  Dim Cell As Range
  Const DoNotUseSheetName As String = "Do Not Use"
  For Each Cell In Worksheets(DoNotUseSheetName).Range("A1:A" & Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row)
    Columns("A").Replace Cell.Value, "", xlWhole
  Next
  On Error Resume Next
  Range("A1:A" & Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row).SpecialCells(xlBlanks).Delete xlShiftUp
End Sub
Change the name assigned in the Const statement from "Do Not Use" to the actual name of the worksheet containing the "do not use" list... run this macro from the sheet with your larger list active.

HOW TO INSTALL MACROs
------------------------------------
If you are new to macros, they are easy to install and use. To install it, simply press ALT+F11 to go into the VB editor and, once there, click Insert/Module on its menu bar, then copy/paste the above code into the code window that just opened up. That's it.... you are done. To use the macro, go back to the worksheet with your data on it and press ALT+F8, select the macro name (RemoveNames) from the list that appears and click the Run button. The macro will execute and perform the action(s) you asked for. To make things simpler for you (especially if you will need to call this macro often), when you select the macro from the list, before clicking Run, you can click the Options button and assign a keyboard shortcut to it first and then use that keyboard shortcut the next time you want to run the macro.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for the help. I couldn't get it to work quite yet. I'm not for sure what names to place where in your code?

My spreadsheet's file name is: Names.xls
The large list's sheet is labeled: LargeList
The "Do not use" sheet is labeled: DoNotUse

Sorry about being so slow on this! Thank you so much for your help Rick!

Upvote 0
OK, so

On LargeList, in B1 put
=ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1,'DoNotUse'!A:A,0))
And fill down to the end of the list in LargeList

Then, on LargeList, use the Autofilter on Column B, and filter for True

Delete all visible rows

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for the help. I couldn't get it to work quite yet. I'm not for sure what names to place where in your code?

My spreadsheet's file name is: Names.xls
The large list's sheet is labeled: LargeList
The "Do not use" sheet is labeled: DoNotUse

Sorry about being so slow on this! Thank you so much for your help Rick!

Your workbook's name is not important as you will be installing the code into it when it is open. The large sheet's name is also not important as it should be the active sheet when the macro is run. So, here is the code with the "do not use" sheet name properly referenced...

Code:
Sub RemoveNames()
  Dim Cell As Range
  Const DoNotUseSheetName As String = "DoNotUse"
  For Each Cell In Worksheets(DoNotUseSheetName).Range("A1:A" & Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row)
    Columns("A").Replace Cell.Value, "", xlWhole
  Next
  On Error Resume Next
  Range("A1:A" & Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row).SpecialCells(xlBlanks).Delete xlShiftUp
End Sub

Upvote 0
You both are lifesavers. Thank you so much! They both work beautifully. Sometimes I have people who don't like to use Macros and others who don't mind. So these work amazing. Thank you both! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ygdalvi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back