Employee tracking (a whole new level)

y3kesprit

Board Regular
Good day everyone!

I previously posted asking for help on an employee attendance tracking template. Now I have another similar project on hand and would appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction.

I have uploaded the template for reference.

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pyniotf5x8tju4s/Tracking Template.xlsx

There are two cells for employees to either scan in (report for work) or scan out (knock off from work). This is done using a bar code scanner.

Whenever an employee scans, his/her particulars will appear on the columns B7 and L7 using the VLOOKUP function. The lookup value is based on the entries registered under spread sheet ‘database’ which contains the information of all our employees.

So whenever an employee checks in, an entry of his details should be reflected on row 25 under in office personnel. When this same employee knocks off from work, he will scan out and his entry will shift to out of office personnel instead. Do note that our employees work on shift work including weekends, therefore the check in and check out are usually days apart.

Thus this above part will provide me a snapshot of the employees who are in office and out of office at any one time. Thus employees will appear either in office or out of office, depending on their scanning.

On top of that, I am hoping to achieve another rather complex concept.

That is, for example an employee checks in on the month of May 2014, his entry will appear on another spread sheet titled ‘May 2014’. Likewise, if he has check in in future on Dec 2014, his entry will appear on the spreadsheet of Dec 2014. Is this possible using macro?

Subsequently, when he checks out, the date and time of checking out will be reflected on that very same entry that he checked in. So on one entry, I am able to see when he checks in and out. And in one spreadsheet, example May 2014, I can know when he checked in and out of office for May.

This is a super complicated template… Hope to receive help from the experts here on this forum. Thank you so much!

Hi Howard!

You are right that it is a running log of all scanning with dates and times for each entry.

There is no limits on the number of scan in and out per month. So on each monthly sheets, I will be able to see in chronological order the employees who checked in and out for that month. The sheet will log the entry of the employees based on their check in date. So an employee who scanned in on June but scanned out in July will appear on June's sheet still. And the entry stays there once it's scanned, you are right.

The rules are as follows:
- no limits per employee
- entry is based on scanned in date
- one entry will consist of one scan in and scan out. Thus there will be multiple rows of entries for one employee per month
- entry will stay there once scanned in. I am intending the password protect the date and time so that employees cannot meddle after they scan

Let me know if I wasn't clear!

Thanks Howard!

Tell me what you expect to see for the monthly sheets.

May is gone so I will delete that sheet.

I assume it is a running log of all scans in and out, with date and time for each scan?

Once a scan is on the month sheet it stays there?

Any limit on the number of scans per day or per month for a single employee? Hope not, may be very difficult to keep score for each employee.

List the rules one per line so I don't have to read through a paragraph to find the do's and don'ts.

Howard

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Hi y3k...,

The transfer to the monthly sheet is not going well at all. Can't seem to get a consistent and trustworthy result, which is as good as no result.

I'll try a different format on the monthly that may work, not sure yet. If a different format is out of the cards, then I have gone as far as I can with my knowledge.

I'll keep the rules in mind as to what needs to be on the monthly sheets but the scan in on one month and out on another may not work.

Howard

Upvote 0
Hi y3k...,

The transfer to the monthly sheet is not going well at all. Can't seem to get a consistent and trustworthy result, which is as good as no result.

I'll try a different format on the monthly that may work, not sure yet. If a different format is out of the cards, then I have gone as far as I can with my knowledge.

I'll keep the rules in mind as to what needs to be on the monthly sheets but the scan in on one month and out on another may not work.

Howard

Hi Howard, that's fine.

If you feel the need to change the format, do go ahead. I'm hoping that something will work.

For the scan in and Scan out on different months, you can do a workaround!

Like I said, I'm okay with lowering the requirements as I know what is requested sounds too complicated.

Hope you can work something out. Thanks so much Howard!

Upvote 0
Here is a version to test. I believe it does what you listed out.

Give it a run down and let me know how it works.

And just to give you a heads up, I will most likely in the near future be able to forward a stellar version of what I have just posted.

It is in the works by an expert and uses advanced concepts, Heavy to Named Ranges and with an eye to best practices regarding data manipulation.

I think you will like it.

Regards,
Howard

I posted the wrong link, which I deleted.

Will post another.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You're welcome. Glad it is working for you.

Had some help from Garry and Claus in MS Excel Public forum.

And I will post the enhanced version as soon as I get it.

Regards,
Howard

Upvote 0
You're welcome. Glad it is working for you.

Had some help from Garry and Claus in MS Excel Public forum.

And I will post the enhanced version as soon as I get it.

Regards,
Howard

Hi Howard.. are there any more versions I should keep a lookout for?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nattarinee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back