Exact same file takes 5x longer to open on 1 cpu than on others!?

d0rian

Office Version
  1. 365
Can't figure this out for the life of me: I have a (large: 20MB) file that takes ~8 seconds to open on 3 of my computers, but a whopping 45 seconds to open on the 4th (displays "Opening FILE_NAME.xlsm - press ESC to cancel" progress bar in the lower-right). There's nothing materially different on computer #4. In fact, computers #3 and #4 are identical: I bought them at the same time and configured them identically (they're plenty powerful Intel NUCs w/ 64 GB RAM). A couple misc things:
  • This only happens the first time I open the file (after a reboot). If I wait the 45s for it to fully open on cpu #4, then close Excel, then re-open it, it takes the same ~8s as on the other cpus)
  • If I open the Excel program itself alone first (rather than double-clicking directly on the file on my desktop) and then open the file, it opens in the short/correct time (~8s). And when I do this, opening the Excel program alone first doesn't take any longer than it typically takes to open it (~2s)
Any way to troubleshoot this?

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Hi

Try to delete
Tried the above, but didn't help. (There was only around 6MB of temp files in the 2 temp folders anyway...moreover, not sure why that would impact Excel file startup time, but either way unfortunately it didn't help.)
  • If I open the Excel program itself alone first (rather than double-clicking directly on the file on my desktop) and then open the file, it opens in the short/correct time (~8s). And when I do this, opening the Excel program alone first doesn't take any longer than it typically takes to open it (~2s)

Just adding one correction to the above bolded bullet. I was mistaken, actually...opening Excel first (just the program, not the file), and then Opening the file in question does not avoid the slow load time I created this threat to solve...the 1st bullet point in my OP still stands, though...the slow load only happens the FIRST time I open the file in question (since a reboot). All subsequent times opening the file take only 7-8 seconds, but the FIRST time I open it after a reboot, it takes ~45s :(

Upvote 0
Just a shot in the dark, have you tried re-installing Excel? It kind of sounds like there's a corrupted file somewhere, and it has to figure out what to do about it the first time it sees it.

Upvote 0
If your windows is set up for Fast Start under Power Options, it wouldn't hurt to run a restart. Probability of it fixing it might be low but you may as well try the easy things first.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamil ahmed

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back