Excel found unreadable content in "……………".

springbrook

Board Regular
I have received and error message:

Excel found unreadable content in "……………". Do you want to recover contents of this workbook?

This workbook has been used for quite some time now.
There are 3 of us who use this workbook nearly every day.
It opens fine on my pc but not on the other 2 (we all run 2007)

Now when they open the workbook it comes up with the following error.
If they open an older version its ok, however if I open it, do nothing to it, save it and then close it, the error appears.

It seems to be since Thursday last week when my 'automatic updates' were done.
Some thing has changed !

Nothing has been altered at all.

I need of desperate help.

Thanks in advance
Springbrook

Thanks Roger.

Well I figured out what was wrong in my case anyway. One of the accountants here was getting the error in Excel 2003 when opening a spreadsheet from a consultant using Excel 2007 (He saved using the 2003 format). It turns out that a couple of the worksheets contained formulas that were links to external workbooks that were saved on his laptop (attachments in email, so they were in his temp internet files). So, when our accountant opened the file, the linked workbooks couldn't be found, which left the formulas (links) in each cell to be too many characters, resulting in the error.

I have Excel 2007 and was able to open the document and if I deleted the worksheets in question it was ok. I just went through and copied / pasted (values only) on all of the cells affected and ultimately got rid of all his bad links. Now all is well. So, I don't think we're having the same problem after all, although MS website mentioned that pivot tables can also cause the error message.

Best of luck,
secretagentbill

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Thanks Roger.

Well I figured out what was wrong in my case anyway. One of the accountants here was getting the error in Excel 2003 when opening a spreadsheet from a consultant using Excel 2007 (He saved using the 2003 format). It turns out that a couple of the worksheets contained formulas that were links to external workbooks that were saved on his laptop (attachments in email, so they were in his temp internet files). So, when our accountant opened the file, the linked workbooks couldn't be found, which left the formulas (links) in each cell to be too many characters, resulting in the error.

I have Excel 2007 and was able to open the document and if I deleted the worksheets in question it was ok. I just went through and copied / pasted (values only) on all of the cells affected and ultimately got rid of all his bad links. Now all is well. So, I don't think we're having the same problem after all, although MS website mentioned that pivot tables can also cause the error message.

Best of luck,
secretagentbill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the info - any clue is worth considering. The "too many characters in a cell" clue is something I will pursue as I too have some links to external worksheets.

Yes, I read about the "pivot tables" on MS and haven't a clue what they are! So I assume that I am not using them...

Cheers,

Roger.

Upvote 0
Success! I appear to have removed the problem in my Excel spreadsheet. :)

My faulty Excel file was about 13 MB in size. It had 48 worksheets in it, some of which were quite complex.

After I added more data to a worksheet, I could tell if the file was going to be corrupt because of the amount of time it took to save the file.

A "healthy" file would take about 5 to 10 seconds to be saved. But if it took more than 30 seconds to be saved I would always get the error "Excel found unreadable content in..." when I tried to open it again.

I tried removing all links to other Excel files, but the problem was still there.

I also removed some macros that I had written that cause Internet Explorer to run and load a particular web page. But the problem was still there.

Lastly, I created a new spreadsheet file and created 48 empty worksheets in that file. I then copied all the worksheets from the faulty file to the new file and saved the new file after each worksheet was copied, giving it a new name and noting the size.

I discovered that one worksheet was about 10 MB in size. This particular worksheet would also cause the Excel program to respond very, very slowly after I added more data to it. However, this worksheet was quite trivial - it had very few formulae in it, just two columns that referenced the first column, i.e. they had "=Axxx" in them, where xxx was the row number. So there was really nothing special about the calculations, and yet when I scrolled down to about row 250 the response from the program became very slow and the CPU rate hit 100% for 10 seconds every time I scrolled down one row.

So I am sure that the problem was not related to the complexity of the formulae in that worksheet.

After I copied the faulty file's worksheet to the new file's worksheet, the problem was present in the new file too - the very slow response at row 250 onwards.

I also created another new spreadsheet file with just one worksheet in it and copied the faulty worksheet into that one too. But that file also suffered from the very slow response problem, so it too had the potential to get corrupted.

I also tried deleting all the worksheets, one at a time, from the spreadsheet. I saved the file each time and noted its size. After I had deleted all the worksheets but one and had deleted all the data from the last one, the file was still 10 MB in size. So there was clearly something very wrong with the file.

So here's what got rid of the problem:

I copied the faulty worksheet, but did a "Paste Special" into the new file and specified "Values". That fixed it - no more slow response problem. I then manually entered the formulae in the two columns that originally had formulae, and the worksheet was still OK.

The new 48-worksheet spreadsheet is now only 2.6 MB in size, and the problem worksheet behaves normally - very fast response all the way down to the end at row 295.

By the way, another worksheet in this workbook has 824 rows, each row being fairly complex, and apparently has never suffered from any problems or caused the "unreadable content" error - so that is why I don't believe the "slow response/slow saving/corrupt file" problem is related to the complexity of the formulae.

I think there was something in that worksheet that was hidden, corrupt and huge, and got copied with the "Copy/Paste" command. The "Copy/Paste Values" command appears to leave it behind.

If I get a re-occurrence of the problem, I will post about it here but, for now, I'm happy that my 11 year old spreadsheet (that started life as a .wk4 file :) ) is now healthy again. Touch wood.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It does sound like the old mainframe issue: A data inputter/programmer forgot to enter a "carraige Return"/enter. The "carraige return" was the signal that that the program reached the end of a dataset. Since there was no Carraige return the program kept reaching for the end and never found it, thus one dataset ate all the memory looking for the end. This happened to my employer when a concultsant used one of my Access templates.

I imagine that one version would mis-interpret an older version meesage, and miss the end of the cell data set, like waiting for an <enter> before proceeding to the next operation.

Upvote 0
Thanks for letting us know your solution. Although problems like this are never really "solved" we get an idea of what to do from the symptoms.

Upvote 0
Thanks for letting us know your solution. Although problems like this are never really "solved" we get an idea of what to do from the symptoms.
Hi BrianB - You were the first poster to reply to the original post and you got it right by suggesting making a new spreadsheet and copying all the worksheets across to it.

I didn't do that initially because it was a daunting task copying all 48 worksheets but, after exhausting all other options, that was the only option left.

So the only thing that I did differently was to use the Copy/Paste Special/Values command after I discovered that the new file also contain the 10 MB of "unknown stuff" in it!

Thanks again for your help.

Upvote 0
I had this same problem today. This file (and all of it's so called corrupt back-ups) were Excel 2003 files. I was able to open the file in Excel 2007, save as Excel 2007, exit the file, re-open and save again as Excel 2003. Seems to have worked like a charm.. we'll see if the problem stays away!

Upvote 0
I have been getting the same "unreadable content" error - I am using pivot tables and queries to get data for an access data base.

I have multiple tables on a summary sheet each using a query to external source for two columns then getpivot formulae for the rest of the data out of the pivot tables.

I stops being readable as soon as I make the tables on the summary sheet have headers. I need these for reference formula

I couldn't recover the file until on all pivot tables I removed the PivotTable Options/data/ number of items retained per field = none.

Now it opens it breaks the table/list for any tables I have added the headers to "Removed Part: /xl/queryTables/queryTable1.xml part. (External data range)"

Any help would be great - although it appears this appears a common unsolvabl;e problem

Upvote 0
@ BNM75 - Sorry, the problem I had didn't involve pivot tables, but I remember that pivot tables had been mentioned in many articles as a cause of this problem. Best of luck in fixing your file. All I can recommend is to try to do the same operation a different way, but I'm sure you've looked into that already.

Best of luck - I know how frustrating it is when these programs don't do what they say they can do.

Upvote 0
Hi all, I'm new to this forum, but I found this post while Googling for an answer to that problem, which I just had myself.

One thing you can try doing? Don't double-click on the file to open it. Instead, in Excel, go to File -> Open. Click once on the file name. In the lower-right corner where the Open button is, click on the arrow next to it.

Click the arrow, and choose Open and Repair. I got that to work flawlessly. Hope that helps others.

Cheers
Geoff

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandan4057

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back