Excel is forcing percentages to 15+ decimals long after I removed any and all references to e and LN

Excelerate2014

I will try anything at this point (except precision as displayed). Custom formats do not work. I have deleted every custom format and then highlight the entire workbook, every cell in every sheet and forced every number four decimals. As soon as i change a number and run manual calculation boom 15+ decimals. Excel does not seem to care (putting aside the obvious that it is simply not practical or rational to "display" 15 decimals. I have removed all references and formulas to e and LN many many versions ago. Does not matter. What can I do?

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Regardless of the version of excel, the only evidence one really needs to see that there is an error, is simply opening the file itself and looking at the cell formats for all the cells. The only cell that is formatted to 14 decimals is cell G10. I (or most any other user) would never go into a cell and force its format to 14 decimals. Excel overwrote the format of just that particular cell. That should be proof positive. Why would anybody want excel to do that?

Upvote 0
As soon as i change a number and run manual calculation boom 15+ decimals
It looks like it might be an issue with 2013. I tried it with 2010 (put my calculation on manual, formatted the cell as 4 decimals, changed 3 numbers, clicked calculate) and it still remained as 4 decimals (didn't change my iterations though).

Upvote 0
Thanks Mark. The problem arises when you change the formula in cell G10. I just tried asked somebody to try it on xl 2010 for me. Same exact problem. Just keep going into cell G10, change the formula back and forth from '=EXP(1)^G9" and '=EXP(1)^G9-G8". Then hit f9.

Upvote 0
OK, I'm getting the same behavior now but only with that type of formula.

From my limited tests it appears it is the use of the ^ that is causing it (it appears to be seeing it as scientific notation in the same way if you typed a number manually in scientific notation it sometimes converts the formats (the use of e for example), even though in this case it is part of a formula).

Afraid I don't have a workaround at present.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Appreciate the feedback Mark. That is the most useful feedback I have received thus far. Although no solution (yet?) you have distilled the problem's root cause one step further. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Appreciate the feedback Mark. That is the most useful feedback I have received thus far. Although no solution (yet?) you have distilled the problem's root cause one step further. Thanks.

In G10, replace =EXP(1)^G9 with =(EXP(1)^G9).

In other words, add "redundant" parentheses. Works for me.

(But =EXP(1)^G9+0, adding a "redundant" +0, does not work. That surprises me, given that redundant parentheses work.)

OK, I'm getting the same behavior now but only with that type of formula. From my limited tests it appears it is the use of the ^ that is causing it

I agree, so far. But the behavior is indeed similar to what I encountered 2 years ago, and there was no exponentiation in my formula then.

In any case, this has nothing to do with Manual or Iterative calculation modes. I can duplicate the misbehavior in Automatic calculation mode.

And this has nothing to do with PI, COS, LN or EXP. I replaced all of those with simple arithmetic operations. My G10 is of the form =2^G9. I alternate between 2 and 3 to force recalculation.

I duplicate the misbehavior with those changes simply by changing G10 (alternate between 2 and 3), which does not immediate demonstrate any misbehavior, change focus to another window, then return focus to the Excel window. At that point, the format is changed to Number with 14 decimal places.

Alternatively, change G10, then right-click on G10 and click on Format Cells. Again, at that point, the format is changed to Number with 14 decimal places.

(The number of decimal places depends on the magnitude of the value in G10. The format is changed to display 15 signficant digits. Change =2^G9 to =123^G9, which is 53.35+, and the format is changed to Number with 13 decimal places.)

I am able to duplicate this misbehavior with XL2010 on my unicore uniprocessor computer, but not with XL2007. So the formatting defect might have been introduced in XL2010.

I cannot duplicate this misbehavior on my multicore multiprocessor computer. But I only have XL2007 there.

The point is: I don't know if simply changing the window focus works on multicore multiprocessor computers.

Upvote 0
In any case, this has nothing to do with Manual or Iterative calculation modes. I can duplicate the misbehavior in Automatic calculation mode.

I agree with this as well, I was getting the same behavior not matter what mode it was in.

(The number of decimal places depends on the magnitude of the value in G10. The format is changed to display 15 signficant digits. Change =2^G9 to =123^G9, which is 53.35+, and the format is changed to Number with 13 decimal places.)
Well spotted I didn't notice the correlation.

Upvote 0
In G10, replace =EXP(1)^G9 with =(EXP(1)^G9).
In other words, add "redundant" parentheses. Works for me.

Actually, in that particular case, replace it with =EXP(G9).

But in general, replace formulas of the form =2^G9 (mine) with =(2^G9).

Again, adding "redundant" parentheses works around the formatting misbehavior, in general.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeVol

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back