Excel is forcing percentages to 15+ decimals long after I removed any and all references to e and LN

Excelerate2014

I will try anything at this point (except precision as displayed). Custom formats do not work. I have deleted every custom format and then highlight the entire workbook, every cell in every sheet and forced every number four decimals. As soon as i change a number and run manual calculation boom 15+ decimals. Excel does not seem to care (putting aside the obvious that it is simply not practical or rational to "display" 15 decimals. I have removed all references and formulas to e and LN many many versions ago. Does not matter. What can I do?

Wow. Cant thank you enough for the redundant parentheses tip. What a relief.

You're welcome.

Earlier you wrote:
Yes the iterative calcs [...]. Although there is no direct circular ref, the irrational #'s, are in a way circular.

I'm not sure what your misunderstanding is. Perhaps a literal translation of PI() and trig functions like COS() as so-called "circular" functions in math.

In any case, there is no relationship between Iterative calculation mode and calculations with or that result in irrational numbers. They are not "in a way circular", as the term applies to Excel.

In Excel, "circular" refers to self-referencing formulas or a system of formulas that inter-reference each other.

Iterative calculation mode and the Max Iterations count affect only how many such circular iterations Excel will tolerate. In particular, Max Iterations does not affect the number of iterations in internal algorithms such as RATE, IRR and Goal Seek.

Bottom line: Unless you have purposeful (circular) self-references in formulas, it would behoove you not to set Iterative calculation mode.

And if you have purposeful (circular) self-references in formula, it would behoove you to reconsider your design. In my experience, Iterative calculation mode does not work reliably, especially with a system of inter-referencing formulas. When Excel stops the iterations, the system of inter-referencing cells can be left in an inconsistent state.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
My misunderstanding? You have no idea who I am or what I do. I'm not going to waste my time teaching you what a circle is. And please don't waste my time responding to any further of my queries with your rambling of questions and misguided assertions, which, only serve to highlight that you have no experience building the types of models that I build. Especially your last comment. Absolute nonsense.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgeeaudrey

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back