Extract A String Between Two Characters

theaudioguy

I'm stuck. I need a formula to extract data from between two characters.

For Example, In A1 I have this: COMP_PROG_v1_ABCD_01

I want to extract the value between the 3rd and 4th "_"'s. The number of "_"'s will be consistent but not the # of characters between them. My brain is tired of thinking. Thanks.

Thank You,

When I use first Formula It Was Working Perfect. But After few Days This Problem Comes
Thanks Again

I think this formula will do what you want and yet still cover all the possible combinations I can think of that you might have to account for...

=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(".",LEFT(A1,FIND("?",A1&"?")-1))),TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(A1,FIND("?",A1&"?")-1),".",REPT(" ",500)),500)),"")

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Hi,

I'd like to jump on this bandwagon as well please.

My cells are vcards which i'm trying to split out into separated columns: Name, Organisation, Title, Telephone, Address, Email, Notes

example of A1 content:

BEGIN:VCARD
N:Joe Bloggs
ORG:Microstaff
TITLE:IT executive
TEL:0234522555
ADR:;;48 rue de Tomato;75032;;Paris;France
EMAIL:joe.bloggs@microstaff.com
NOTE:Contact from Cool Event London 2014
END:VCARD

As you can see the delimiters are a bit odd, i've imported this from an iPhone app called QRReader, but it didnt port to CSV very well.

I've tried all sorts of ways such as: =IF(SEARCH("N:",A2),SUBSTITUTE(A2,"N:",""),"") for the name field and so on but this does not work very well because it pulls in all the stuff after "bloggs".

I'm a bit of a newbie with these formulae. Any help appreciated thanks.

Upvote 0
If the first cell to process is A1, enter into B1 and drag it down and right:

=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE($A1,CHAR(10),":"),":",REPT(" ",999)),(1+2*COLUMN(A1))*999,999))

Upvote 0
If the first cell to process is A1, enter into B1 and drag it down and right:

=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE($A1,CHAR(10),":"),":",REPT(" ",999)),(1+2*COLUMN(A1))*999,999))
I'd consider this slight modification to avoid the final "VCARD" if copied too far to the right.

=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE($A1,"END:VCARD",""),CHAR(10),":"),":",REPT(" ",999)),(1+2*COLUMN(A1))*999,999))

Upvote 0
Actually I'd make this further change so the formula doesn't fail if any new columns are added to the left of these formulas.

=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE($A1,"END:VCARD",""),CHAR(10),":"),":",REPT(" ",999)),(1+2*COLUMNS($B1:B1))*999,999))

Upvote 0
Thanks, Peter. Well, I concentrated on the inside of the string as I do not know what the role and meaning of the VCARD frame (first and last line) is (are they constant or not, etc.).

Upvote 0
Thanks, Peter. Well, I concentrated on the inside of the string as I do not know what the role and meaning of the VCARD frame (first and last line) is (are they constant or not, etc.).
Fair enough, I certainly made an assumption in that regard. :)

Upvote 0
Good Afternoon all, I'm going to jump on this band wagon if I may.
The information i'm looking for is going to be a string of numbers only the tricky thing is,

the string of number isn't always between the same two characters, any can the number of integers can very from 6 to 9

Here are some examples of what I'm working with

SP6BREG3NAKHAK|242925|SP6SREG3NAKHAK|1089
242925|SP6BREG3NAKHAK|1089
SUPERSAC|300021973|SQUATTOMAN|9004

<tbody>
</tbody>

I'd need to return the numbers in green

Thank you if anyone can help

Upvote 0
Here are some examples of what I'm working with

SP6BREG3NAKHAK|242925|SP6SREG3NAKHAK|1089
242925|SP6BREG3NAKHAK|1089
SUPERSAC|300021973|SQUATTOMAN|9004

<tbody>
</tbody>

Will there only be one such number per text string or could a single text string have multiple numbers to retrieve?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back