Extract A String Between Two Characters

theaudioguy

I'm stuck. I need a formula to extract data from between two characters.

For Example, In A1 I have this: COMP_PROG_v1_ABCD_01

I want to extract the value between the 3rd and 4th "_"'s. The number of "_"'s will be consistent but not the # of characters between them. My brain is tired of thinking. Thanks.

just one string of numbers per line either 6 or 9, never 4
You said originally 6 to 9 digits, so I went with that (I can change it if need be). I think a formula solution would be long, messy and full of repeats, so I am offering you a UDF (user defined function) for you to use instead...

Code:
Function Get6To9Digits(S As String) As String
  Dim X As Long, Parts() As String
  Parts = Split(S, "|")
  For X = 0 To UBound(Parts)
    If Not Parts(X) Like "*[!0-9]*" And Len(Parts(X)) > 5 And Len(Parts(X)) < 10 Then
      Get6To9Digits = Parts(X)
      Exit For
    End If
  Next
End Function

HOW TO INSTALL UDFs
------------------------------------
If you are new to UDFs, they are easy to install and use. To install it, simply press ALT+F11 to go into the VB editor and, once there, click Insert/Module on its menu bar, then copy/paste the above code into the code window that just opened up. That's it.... you are done. You can now use Get6To9Digits just like it was a built-in Excel function. For example,

=Get6To9Digits(A1)

If you are using XL2007 or above, make sure you save your file as an "Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook (*.xlsm) and answer the "do you want to enable macros" question as "yes" or "OK" (depending on the button label for your version of Excel) the next time you open your workbook.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
That works great Thank you,

To add on is there a way to edit to to pull only one of the garbled texts highlighted in blue

SP6BREG3NAKHAK|242925|SP6SREG3NAKHAK|1089
242925|SP6SREG3NAKHAK|1089
SUPERSAC|300021973|SQUATTOMAN|9004

<tbody>
</tbody>

Also, is there a place i can go that I can learn how to do this fluently as the moderators of this forum have?

Upvote 0
To add on is there a way to edit to to pull only one of the garbled texts highlighted in blue

SP6BREG3NAKHAK|242925|SP6SREG3NAKHAK|1089
242925|SP6SREG3NAKHAK|1089
SUPERSAC|300021973|SQUATTOMAN|9004

<tbody>
</tbody>
What would be the "garbled" text in the third one... SUPERSAC or SQUATTOMAN? Why?

Upvote 0
The 3rd one is a bad example. The characters highlighted in blue represent skus in an excel file that I need to reference to import them to a system. The numbers and text strings are separate fields. However on the excel file are combined into one unorganized mess or things I keep trying to figure out how to put into separate cells. This is a daily occurance

Upvote 0
The 3rd one is a bad example. The characters highlighted in blue represent skus in an excel file that I need to reference to import them to a system. The numbers and text strings are separate fields. However on the excel file are combined into one unorganized mess or things I keep trying to figure out how to put into separate cells. This is a daily occurance
Are you saying your third example will never happen? If it could, tell me how you distinguish between your SKU and any other non-SKU text so I make the code recognize SKUs from non-SKUs.

Upvote 0
The 3rd example won't happen in the future, so if the code returns the 3rd example as a string, I'll be able to fix that. The skus are various lengths containing letters and numbers. Making this incredibly difficult and that's why I don't mind if the 3rd example is returned.

The only saving grace is that, the example in the first line, and the example in the third line will never be in the same line.

Upvote 0
The 3rd example won't happen in the future, so if the code returns the 3rd example as a string, I'll be able to fix that. The skus are various lengths containing letters and numbers. Making this incredibly difficult and that's why I don't mind if the 3rd example is returned.

The only saving grace is that, the example in the first line, and the example in the third line will never be in the same line.
Okay then, give this UDF a try...

Code:
Function GarbledText(S As String) As String
  Dim X As Long, Parts() As String
  Parts = Split(S, "|")
  For X = 0 To UBound(Parts)
    If Parts(X) Like "*[!0-9]*" Then
      GarbledText = Parts(X)
      Exit For
    End If
  Next
End Function

Upvote 0
That works great. Thank you tons sir.

Is there a starting point as at where I can learn how to do this without assistance?

Upvote 0
Is there a starting point as at where I can learn how to do this without assistance?
I have been programming, nearly continuously, since 1981 and I am completely self-taught, so everything I do programming-wise comes pretty automatic anymore. In addition, I seem to approach coding solutions differently then my fellow volunteers do. Hence, I am not really the person to ask that question of. I do know that there are a ton of tutorials online that you can Google for, but your learning style (preferences) will determine whether you find one type of tutorial more suitable than another.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rick has given you some good UDFs that certainly seem to do what you asked.

If it happens that the number & text you are looking for are always the first two parts of your string (just the order is unknown) as is the case with the examples provided, then standard functions may do the task.
Here is one way.

Excel Workbook
ABC
1DataNumberText
2SP6BREG3NAKHAK|242925|SP6SREG3NAKHAK|1089242925SP6BREG3NAKHAK
3242925|SP6SREG3NAKHAK|1089242925SP6SREG3NAKHAK
4SUPERSAC|300021973|SQUATTOMAN|9004300021973SUPERSAC
Extract from Text

You are looking at it. :)
I have learnt the majority of what I know from this forum. It is certainly where I got started.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chestertim

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back