Find the cells that contain certain words of another sheet

MG1992

Hi,

I have an excel document that contains 2 sheets. I want to look in the first sheet, in column A if the cells contain words from the list in column A of the second sheet. I do not want to find exact cells, but know which cells contain one or more words (in column A of sheet 2) in the texts.

I tried
=IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("*exempleword*";A2));"No";"Yes") - It works great, but now i want to replace ''*exempleword*" by something like "Sheet2!A" but the answer is always No... Can someone help?

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Try
=IF(ISERROR(SEARCH(Sheet2!A1,A2)),"No","Yes")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wanna be able to search on the whole list, that's why i only put Sheet2!A. If i put A1 it's only going to search one cell at a time

Upvote 0
You said you wanted to "replace ''*exempleword*" by something like "Sheet2!A""
''*exempleword*" is the text you are looking for!

Upvote 0
im sorry if it wasnt clear, english isnt my first language, im doind my best... I want to look in the first sheet, in column A if the cells contain words from the list in column A of the second sheet. That's why i'm sayinf that i want something like Sheet2!A, because i want to be able to search at all the cells in columns A (sheet2) to find matches for each cells in sheet 1.

If it helps, in Sheet1 Column A each cells contains a little message. In Sheet2 Column A i have names of people. I want to find which message contains names from the list that i have in sheet2.

I hope i made it clear, im so sorry! Thank you very much

Upvote 0
Something like
=SUM(IF(ISERROR(SEARCH(Sheet2!A1,A:A,1)),0,1))
You must enter with Ctrl/Shift&Enter

Upvote 0
Still not working... i want to find if yes or no cell1 contains a word from the list in sheet2, then same for cell2, etc.

Upvote 0
OK save confusion, please post an example of the data on both sheets and what results you expect!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew Slatter

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back