How to find more than one word in Excel?

man

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello

For example, I want to find cells that contains these 2 words [disposable] [bottles] in any order or with any other words in between, the search result shown will be A4 cell and A5 cell. How to do it? (Unable to use Ctrl+F because Ctrl+F only can search for 1 word)

My A1 cell to A6 cell contents are below
A1 cell: A water bottle is a container that is used to hold liquids, mainly water, for the purpose of transporting a drink while travelling or while otherwise away from a supply of potable water.
A2 cell: Water bottles are usually made of plastic, glass, metal, or some combination of those substances.
A3 cell: in the past, water bottles were sometimes made of wood, bark, or animal skins such as leather, hide and sheepskin.
A4 cell: Water bottles can be either disposable or reusable.
A5 cell: Disposable water bottles are often sold filled with potable water, while reusable bottles are often sold empty.
A6 cell: Reusable water bottles help cut down on consumer plastic waste and carbon emissions.

I am using Excel 2021

Thanks

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Hi, see below
is this what you want ??

Book1
AB
1A water bottle is a container that is used to hold liquids, mainly water, for the purpose of transporting a drink while travelling or while otherwise away from a supply of potable waterNot Found
2Water bottles are usually made of plastic, glass, metal, or some combination of those substances.Not Found
3A3 cell: in the past, water bottles were sometimes made of wood, bark, or animal skins such as leather, hide and sheepskin.Not Found
4A4 cell: Water bottless can be either disposable or reusable.Found
5A5 cell: Disposable water bottles are often sold filled with potable water, while reusable bottles are often sold empty.Found
6A6 cell: Reusable water bottles help cut down on consumer plastic waste and carbon emissions.Not Found
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1:B6B1=IF(OR(AND(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("disposable", A1)), ISNUMBER(SEARCH("bottles", A1))), AND(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("bottles", A1)), ISNUMBER(SEARCH("disposable", A1)))), "Found", "Not Found")

Reactions: man
Upvote 0
Book1
AB
1A water bottle is a container that is used to hold liquids, mainly water, for the purpose of transporting a drink while travelling or while otherwise away from a supply of potable waterNot Found
2Water bottles are usually made of plastic, glass, metal, or some combination of those substances.Not Found
3A3 cell: in the past, water bottles were sometimes made of wood, bark, or animal skins such as leather, hide and sheepskin.Not Found
4A4 cell: Water bottless can be either disposable or reusable.Found
5A5 cell: Disposable water bottles are often sold filled with potable water, while reusable bottles are often sold empty.Found
6A6 cell: Reusable water bottles help cut down on consumer plastic waste and carbon emissions.Not Found
Sheet5
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1:B6B1=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Bottle",A1))*ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Disposable",A1)),"Found","Not Found")

Upvote 0
Thank you for all replies. How do you use the Cell Formulas that you posted? I am not sure how to apply your answer to see the result.

I mean if I press Ctrl+F key, [Find what:] box if i input the text [disposable] then click [Find all] or [Find next] it will show me the cell that contain the word [disposable], if I click [Find Next] it will show me the next cell that contain the word [disposable]. The Ctrl+F feature is unable to search for cells that contains these 2 words [disposable] [bottles] in any order or with any other words in between, so I am asking my question here. Thanks.

ctrl plus f find and replace.PNG

Upvote 0
Copy the formula. Paste it cell B1, and drag it down. It will return "Found" or "Not found"

Upvote 0
Thank you for your answer.

Two more questions, please provide me the formula:
Find cells that contains these 3 words [disposable] [bottles] [water] in any order or with any other words in between.
Find cells that contains these 4 words [disposable] [bottles] [water] [sold] in any order or with any other words in between.

Upvote 0
If my data is not only in column A, data is in many columns and cells, how can I find all cells in the excel sheet to find cells that contains these 2 words [disposable] [bottles] in any order or with any other words in between?
Thanks

Upvote 0
Try this new formula. You can add or remove words as you like. In this example, you're looking for Bottle, Disposable, and Sold so the number to the right of the equal sign is 3. You can add in the 4th word and change it to 4 accordingly.
Excel Formula:
=IF(SUM(COUNTIF(A1,"*"&{"Bottle","Disposable","Sold"}&"*"))=3,"Found","Not Found")

If your data in many cells in a tabular structure, consider using conditional formatting to highlight the cells.
Select all the cells you want to perform the search on -> Home tab -> Conditional formatting -> New Rule -> Custom/Use formula to determine which cell to format. Paste this formula in. Again, you can remove or add words as needed, remember to adjust the number as well.
Excel Formula:
=SUM(COUNTIF(A1,"*"&{"Bottle","Disposable","Sold"}&"*"))=3

Upvote 0
Try this new formula. You can add or remove words as you like. In this example, you're looking for Bottle, Disposable, and Sold so the number to the right of the equal sign is 3. You can add in the 4th word and change it to 4 accordingly.
Excel Formula:
=IF(SUM(COUNTIF(A1,"*"&{"Bottle","Disposable","Sold"}&"*"))=3,"Found","Not Found")

If your data in many cells in a tabular structure, consider using conditional formatting to highlight the cells.
Select all the cells you want to perform the search on -> Home tab -> Conditional formatting -> New Rule -> Custom/Use formula to determine which cell to format. Paste this formula in. Again, you can remove or add words as needed, remember to adjust the number as well.
Excel Formula:
=SUM(COUNTIF(A1,"*"&{"Bottle","Disposable","Sold"}&"*"))=3
First formula works.
Second formula after I click OK it shows me a message "You may not use reference operators (such as unions, intersections, and ranges), array constants, or the LAMBDA function for Conditional Formatting criteria." (screenshot below)
you may not use reference operators.PNG

Upvote 0
My mistake. For conditional formatting, we'd go back to the original format. Notice the structure pattern below. You can add/remove words accordingly. Make sure the cell reference "A1" is whatever the top left cell of your selection is.
Rich (BB code):
=ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Bottle",A1))*ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Disposable",A1))*ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Sold",A1))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back