How to find more than one word in Excel?

man

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello

For example, I want to find cells that contains these 2 words [disposable] [bottles] in any order or with any other words in between, the search result shown will be A4 cell and A5 cell. How to do it? (Unable to use Ctrl+F because Ctrl+F only can search for 1 word)

My A1 cell to A6 cell contents are below
A1 cell: A water bottle is a container that is used to hold liquids, mainly water, for the purpose of transporting a drink while travelling or while otherwise away from a supply of potable water.
A2 cell: Water bottles are usually made of plastic, glass, metal, or some combination of those substances.
A3 cell: in the past, water bottles were sometimes made of wood, bark, or animal skins such as leather, hide and sheepskin.
A4 cell: Water bottles can be either disposable or reusable.
A5 cell: Disposable water bottles are often sold filled with potable water, while reusable bottles are often sold empty.
A6 cell: Reusable water bottles help cut down on consumer plastic waste and carbon emissions.

I am using Excel 2021

Thanks

My mistake. For conditional formatting, we'd go back to the original format. Notice the structure pattern below. You can add/remove words accordingly. Make sure the cell reference "A1" is whatever the top left cell of your selection is.
Rich (BB code):
=ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Bottle",A1))*ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Disposable",A1))*ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Sold",A1))
I use your formula
post 10 formula.PNG

then after I click OK the [New Formatting Rule] box disappears and I see the cell contents only
post 10 formula results.PNG

How to see the results that tell me what cells contain Bottle, Disposable, and Sold?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Screen Shot 2024-04-21 at 12.16.48 AM.png

Look at the Preview. You have not set a Format. Click on Format... You can choose to highlight, strikeout, font color ,ect...

Reactions: man
Upvote 0
View attachment 110263
Look at the Preview. You have not set a Format. Click on Format... You can choose to highlight, strikeout, font color ,ect...
It works. I click Format>Font style [Italic]>OK>OK, then I see the cell that contain Bottle, Disposable, and Sold changed to italic.
result italic.PNG

How to undo the format changes? After I see the cells data so do I click undo to undo the format changes?
If I have thousands of rows of does it mean to see all the results I have to scroll thousands of rows to see all the cells are italic?
What is "highlight"? I do not see any highlight feature in Format Cells>Font tab
what is highlight.PNG

Upvote 0
Anything that was done by conditional formatting can only be undone by removing the rules. The highlighting is under "Fill".

Upvote 0
Anything that was done by conditional formatting can only be undone by removing the rules. The highlighting is under "Fill".
What are the steps to removing the rules?

Upvote 0
Conditional formatting -> Clear rules.

Which version of Excel are you using? It's possible to extract the text that only contains those words if you're using 365.

Upvote 0
Version 2021 doesn't have the dynamic functions that would make things easy. I can offer a VBA option.
If you do want VBA, would you like to
(1) Italicize/highlight the text and give you the option to undo it OR
(2) extract all the texts to say Sheet2?

Upvote 0
Version 2021 doesn't have the dynamic functions that would make things easy. I can offer a VBA option.
If you do want VBA, would you like to
(1) Italicize/highlight the text and give you the option to undo it OR
(2) extract all the texts to say Sheet2?
I would like to extract all the texts to Sheet2

Upvote 0
If extract all the texts to Sheet2, does it mean the original sheet data is unchanged? All the cells that matches the Find criteria will be copied to Sheet2?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chislobog

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back