Good Excel Practical Jokes, Pranks, Mean Tricks, etc.

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
An easy one that I did to a CoWorker is to autocorrect a common word like "the" to "man I am an ideot" It is so simple, but many people do not know how to undo an autocorrect.

I'm no slouch when it comes to excel...but I would most likely have a difficult time ID'ing that particular burn...Although if you got me with that I would get you back with stuff that you would never be able to figure out:).

You could also add the code:

Selection.Replace What:="the", Replacement:="man I am an ideot", LookAt:=xlPart, _
SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, _
ReplaceFormat:=False

inside a macro.

The one I like the most would be to remove all the commandbars including the excel menu. I had our IT group doing full rebuilds on systems with that one:)

(It was actually unintentional, but would work for a great burn)

Well here is my confession.

I once worked for a company for 10 years.
I have a A+ spreadsheets that compared orders with all the raw materials needed for production.

It was only 800 rows in Excel.
I wrote a nasty little code that everytime it was opened, a row was deleted ( very subtle ).

After I left I got a call to come back and fix it, for a flat fee of $500.
Which I did ( hehe ).
That's not a joke, that's just plain unethical, and borderline criminal. It is equivalent to creating a virus.

No borderline about it. It's criminal. It's a simple logic bomb and it's quite prosecutable (as "computer sabotage"). Google "Roger Duronio" for the precedent (he got 97 months and was ordered to 3.1 Million in restitution).

And even if they didn't go after you in criminal court, it would quite easy to make a civil case out of it and sue to recover for damage done. Time lost, loss of reputation, loss of data, on and on. I short... Kiddies do not try that yourself.

Last edited:
I understand what you are saying, but isnt everything in this topic considered borderline criminal?

"creating extra work which equates to a company spending time ( labor $) to fix a problem?

I left out that the company promised me that they were going away from this module I created, so they asked me to delete it permanetly, so I did.
Line by line while most of the functionality was still available.

Not to pick on anyone:

""I had our IT group doing full rebuilds on systems with that one:)""

but what did that cost the company?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back