Help with slow linked tables

clut

Board Regular
Hi,

I have developed a small database which tracks projects, and items within a project.

Because the database may be accessed by 3 or 4 different people, I have placed a copy of the database (with all forms and reports removed) on a network drive, and the users have local copies of the database with forms and reports intact, and linked tables pointing to the server.

The problem is, their network is terribly slow. it takes about 15 seconds to transfer 500kb. That is ok, as the whole server portion of the database is only 560k, but when the users try to use the system, pulling data across from the linked tables can take up to 2 minutes (even just small tables with minimal data in).

I don't expect to get better performance than the poor network can cope with, but it is currently running far far slower than the network can cope with.

Is there anyway I can speed up the linked tables performance in access?

Many Thanks
Alan

James,
Again, my memory is quite fuzzy (it has been 3 years since I came across this issue), but as I recall each time access has to open a folder on the network it has to get the permissions and such for that folder. Then it moves on to the next. As the tree gets deeper, these little pauses add up.
Maybe someone with more network experience can/ will correct me, but I believe that is the basic issue with a deep tree.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
SyndeyGeek, thanks for that Name Autocorrect suggestion. It significantly reduced the time it takes my database to open linked tables.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emilou

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back