HLookup using a cell value to set Table Array

Artesis1

Hi,
I'm trying to set up a series of HLookups for a template we use to handle our quotations, acknowledgements, invoices etc at work.

I've created the whole thing and have been asked to simplify how we search our reporting pricing.

I want to create product codes for how long each contract is:
3 Month Diagnostic Contract;
6 Month Diagnostic Contract;
12 Month Diagnostic Contract; and,
etc.

But we want to change the pricing based on the number of assets to be monitored and what the setup is for data being sent to our servers.

I wanted to use a list drop down for the data type that would match the table array range needed for the hlookup:
Type 1 = A3:I9;
Type 2 = A15:I21; and,
etc.
And then I wanted to use the number of units as the row to be looked in:
2-5 = 2;
6-10 = 3; and,
etc.

So I wrote the logic out in cells nearby so that people would understand the selections to be made in the drop downs.

And then wrote the following hlookup.
=IFERROR(HLOOKUP(C159,'QUOTE INPUT'!I62,'QUOTE INPUT'!I67,FALSE),0)

This gave me a 0 return which means that it didn't manage to use the references I gave it.

How do I fix this?

So that workers can input only in the quote input worksheet and have it find pricing in the reporting pricing worksheet, which has the 4 tables that contain all the diagnostic pricing. Where columns are number of months and rows are number of units, and each table overall is based on a setup type. It then needs to return this pricing to the product data worksheet where it gets feed into all the outputs I have in the excel spreadsheet.

I would like to avoid posting the spreadsheet if at all possible for two reasons, one it has company data, two I don't have permission to post it currently according to the details in the admin of this post.

Any help much appreciated!

Kind Regards

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Try this:

=IFERROR(HLOOKUP(C159,INDIRECT('QUOTE INPUT'!I62),LOOKUP('QUOTE INPUT'!I67,{2,6},{2,3}),FALSE),0)

Upvote 0
Hi Steve,
thanks for the swift reply,
I tried the code you used and still get a 0 as the response so something is still not quite right.

Upvote 0
Delete the IFERROR. Does the formula actually error or is the result 0? What is in cells I62 and I67 of quote input sheet?

Upvote 0
Says #N/A, I62 is currently set to be A3:I9 and I67 is set to be 2
Just tried changing I62 to be 'REPORTING PRICING!'A3:I9 and that changed error to be #REF

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try like this:

=IFERROR(HLOOKUP(C159,INDIRECT("'Reported Pricing'!"&'Quote input'!I62),LOOKUP('Quote input'!I67,{2,6},{2,3}),FALSE),0)

Upvote 0
Tried your equation and adjusted it to remove the iferror to see if the 0 it returned was a fault or not.
Equation now looks like this:
=HLOOKUP(C159,INDIRECT("'Reporting Pricing'!" & 'QUOTE INPUT'!I62),LOOKUP('QUOTE INPUT'!I67,{2,6},{2,3}),FALSE)

It returned a value of 200, which is the correct value in that cell, but if I change the value of the dropdown in cell I67 the value in HLookup doesn't adjust.

So do I just need to replicate the indirect that we used for the table array and replace the lookup with it?

Upvote 0
Steve thank you very much for your help I changed the Lookup to just be 'Quote Input'!I67 and the equation works perfectly.

It now reads =HLOOKUP(C159,INDIRECT("'Reporting Pricing'!" & 'QUOTE INPUT'!I62),'QUOTE INPUT'!I67,FALSE)

You've been really helpful and I've really appreciated it thank you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bharathi V

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back