how do I round to nearest quarter hour

Firstime

I need to round a time to the nearest quarter hour and have it show in quarters. My formula figures out the hours worked. If the total is 8.36, then it needs to show 8.75. It needs to round up or down to nearest quater hour. How can I do this??

Hi FirstTime:

Welcome to MrExcel Board!

Please look at the following simulation ...
y030923h1.xls
ABCDE
1TimeInHours&MinutesTimeInDecimalHoursToNearestQuarterHourToNextQuarterHourToPreviousQuarterHour
28:368.68.58.758.5
Sheet6

In my illustration, I have assumed you want to convert the time of 8:36 (8 hours and 36 minutes) to a decimal number representing hours and fractions of hours and have it rounded to the 1/4 hour mark. It is not clear from your post whether you want the number rounded up or down to the 1/4 hour mark -- so my illustration covers, rounding to the nearest, next(higher), or previous(lower) 1/4 hour mark.

I hope this helps -- otherwise explain a little further and then let us take it from there.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Did you ever figure it out so far? I need the same thing!!! You would think someone would post one online for everyone - so far no luck

This is as far as I got on mine, but I still have not figured out how to take the total and make it in quarter increments for payroll.

I took IN time (A1) and OUT time(A2) (format as TIME PM) then totaled them in (C1 as format time 13:30)
(breaking up morning and afternoon to punch out for lunch I added (D1) IN time again (E1) OUT time then totaled them in F1 formatted as time 13:30 then in G1 is the total in hours and min. In H1 it is in number format which converts it to a decimal... only problem is that I need it to become quarter time for payroll.

So it looks like this:
IN OUT TOTAL IN OUT TOTAL = TOTAL in hours then total converted to Decimal

I have an attachement I can send to someone if they can help me- I am not good at formulas so this is all greek to me.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HellScout

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back