How to get the sum from multiple rows when found with vlookup

Gerald Crumbley

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
We are a Training entity. I need to pull monthly reports showing Enrollments for our courses.

Issue: A course may be taught multiple times each month at 50+ locations throughout the State. The monthly data will have the same course name, but with different locations and different enrollment, passed, failed numbers

I've got VLOOKUP to give me a list, however it only returns the data from the first row it finds. Is it possible to get a sum of every row with the same course name?

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
If you are trying to get a sum from multiple lines matching a certain criteria, perhaps a SUMIFS formula would be better to use in your scenario.
See: SUMIFS Function

Also, I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Upvote 0
We are a Training entity. I need to pull monthly reports showing Enrollments for our courses.

Issue: A course may be taught multiple times each month at 50+ locations throughout the State. The monthly data will have the same course name, but with different locations and different enrollment, passed, failed numbers

I've got VLOOKUP to give me a list, however it only returns the data from the first row it finds. Is it possible to get a sum of every row with the same course name?
You can create a column called "Unique ID" then combine multiple columns that are relevant to establish the unique value. Example: =A2&B2&C2&D2 each cell is a value of "Course Name", "Location", "Enrollment", "Passed", "Failed". Rather than using the "course name" which has duplicates, have your VLOOKUP reference the "Unique ID" column to pull each row. The combined values may be sufficient enough for a unique result.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
how about:
Book4
ABCDE
3COURSELocationEnrolmentPassFail
4COURSE1Location1332112
5COURSE2Location2281711
6COURSE2Location3311912
7COURSE1Location4432518
8COURSE3Location5241014
9COURSE1Location6321814
10COURSE1Location7231013
11COURSE3Location8312110
12COURSE2Location9381820
15COURSE11317457
16COURSE2975443
17COURSE3553124
Sheet3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B15:D17B15=SUM(CHOOSECOLS(FILTER($C$4:$E$12,$A$4:$A$12=$A15,""),COLUMN(B15)-1))

Upvote 0
Thank you, I will play with these two suggestions. I'm not as smart as I look (although, that is an arguable point), if anyone can send me a formula that works . . . I would appreciate it.

I import raw data to a "Month" tab. Column B is course Name; Column K is Total Enrollments; there are actually 49 rows with the same course name and different enrollment numbers for each.
(mock numbers)

JanTab:
Course NameLocationTotalPassFail
Firearms Requalification including Use of Deadly Force and De-escalation
Site A
2​
2​
0​
Site B
17​
14​
3​
Site C
10​
10​
0​
Site D
24​
20​
0​

On an "Enrollments" tab, all courses are listed in rows, month totals are in columns. I need to get a sum of all locations, not just the first one:

Enrollments Tab:
Course NameJanuaryFebruaryMarch
Advanced Perimeter000
Basic Sex Offender Management training

Here is my formula starting a cell B18 on Enrollments Tab: =IFNA(VLOOKUP($A18,Jan!$B$1:$M$600,10,FALSE),0)

I need to get a sum of all locations, not just the first one.

Upvote 0
awoohaw,

I tried the below formula but it's not working. I wanted your $C$4:$E$12 to only be column K ($K$27:$K$500). I wanted your $A$4:$A$12 to be column B and return to column N ($B$27:$B$500=$N27,""). and your COLUMN B15 to be column O (COLUMN(O27)-1))

What have I done wrong?

Yours: =SUM(CHOOSECOLS(FILTER($C$4:$E$12,$A$4:$A$12=$A15,""),COLUMN(B15)-1))
Mine: =SUM(CHOOSECOLS(FILTER($K$27:$K$500,$B$27:$B$500=$N27,""),COLUMN(O27)-1))

Upvote 0
the column calculation at the end needs to result as 1 in the first column. So, O is column 15, I think,
so you should use (COLUMN(O27)-14). the cell reference should be the first cell in the first column of the calculation output.

So, I cannot be absolutely certain of where you are starting your formulas. This is why posting a mini worksheet using the xl2bb is so helpful. I could have built the formula for you in the exact cell to start in. Link to xl2bb is below.

Upvote 0
Sorry, apparently the State has blocked me adding xl2bb.

I can't get it to work . . .

=SUM(CHOOSECOLS(FILTER($K$27:$K$500,$B$27:$B$500=$N27,""),COLUMN(O27)-14))

1682970206416.png

Upvote 0
ok. the first range in the filter function should be 3 columns wide. so try...

Excel Formula:
=SUM(CHOOSECOLS(FILTER($K$27:$M$500,$B$27:$B$500=$N27,""),COLUMN(O27)-14))

Upvote 0
My co-worker came up with a formula that works. The Month changes for each column. (also one for the Passed tab):

=IFNA(SUMPRODUCT(SUMIFS(Jan!$K:$K,Jan!$B:$B,Enrollments!$A2)),0)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent Khandagale

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back