How to use DSUM in Access Query with multiple criterias and multiple tables

NDMDRB

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I've been searching for 2 days for a solution but didn't find anything, please help me with this small DSUM formula.

I have 3 tables (1st: PurchaseInvoicesT, 2nd: CustomsT) (where I ship goods from 1 country to another, and I can't put them in 1 table because there are 2 different suppliers and so many details in each table
Relationship between these 2 tables is PurchaseID

Here are some fields that matter in my question
1st: PurchaseID, TotalAmount
2nd: CustomsID, PurchaseID, TotalAmount, Notes (Including Customs there is VAT which is in the same invoice but I need to separate it, So I mentioned VAT in Notes in specific Rows)

Lets say I have only 2 Purchase Id's 101 & 102
I'm trying to make a Query to show me PurchaseID (Only 2 Rows 101 & 102), TotalAmount (for each Order), VATAmount (VAT: DSum("Total","CustomsT","Notes='VAT'"))

Here is the main problem
VAT: DSum("Total","CustomsT","Notes='VAT'") This works fine, but it gets me the sum of VAT of all orders
So I need something like that, to get the sum of VAT of each order
VAT: DSum("Total","CustomsT","Notes='VAT'" And [CustomsT]![PurchaseID]=[PurchaseInvoicesT]![PurchaseID])

I've searched and searched and tried a million different ways to write this and nothing works.

Could anyone tell me how to write this DSUM function?

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Based on your post, I think the following points are relevant:
- you cannot write one aggregate function that involves more than one table
- you can use a query that provides the desired results as the domain/table for an aggregate function
- you should not be storing totals/calculations as a general rule: Allen Browne - Inventory Control: Quantity on Hand

Multiple criteria in domain functions is a common topic; surprised that you didn't find enough guidance there. Perhaps you didn't grasp the method?
If PurchaseID is a number, the concatenation would be more like
DSum("Total","CustomsT","Notes='VAT' And [CustomsT]![PurchaseID]= " & [PurchaseInvoicesT]![PurchaseID])
however, the bold part cannot be used as noted above in first bullet point. So solution is to create a query that relates both tables and use that as the domain. You don't need to include the table/domain in the criteria (CustomsT).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
masterms

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back