Launching macro based on value of a cell

CHawk

Is there anyway to automatically launch a Macro every time a particular cell changes from False to True? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Well I am thinking that it will because I tested some of the code that Justin gave me earlier in this thread on Friday when the DDE link up in realtime. His code triggered my macro everytime any cell in the worksheet was updated via DDE. So I have my fingers crossed. I will report back on Monday and let you know.

Cathy

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
CHawk said:
Well I am thinking that it will because I tested some of the code that Justin gave me earlier in this thread on Friday when the DDE link up in realtime. His code triggered my macro everytime any cell in the worksheet was updated via DDE. So I have my fingers crossed. I will report back on Monday and let you know.

Cathy

See! I *told* you I was Stoo-pid! Hope it does work.

Note that in my code an update which changes the underlying cells but results in cell I11 "changing" from True to True will not count as a qualifying event - does it need to? [ I had assumed you did not want that counted, but now am unsure. ]

Upvote 0
You assumed correctly, I didn't want that to count. Well I hope it works and only Monday morning will tell. But hey if it doesn't, could using "worksheet_calculate event" work? I really don't know what that event is but it sounds like something that might work. :biggrin: Cathy

Upvote 0
That would be the next step, I suppose, as long as Calc is set to automatic - which, as you're doing constant updates, should be.

Upvote 0
Jon: You were right -- it didn't launch the macro. :( If you could help me with the worksheet_calculate event, it would be much appreciated.

Cathy

Upvote 0
<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Worksheet_Calculate()
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Static</SPAN> MyState <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Variant</SPAN>
Application.EnableEvents = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN>
Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> [I11].Value = MyState <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' Here if I11's value has not changed.</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">GoTo</SPAN> Xit
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">ElseIf</SPAN> [I11].Value = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN>
    MyState = [I11].Value
    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' YOUR CODE HERE</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN>
Xit:
Application.EnableEvents = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN>
Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

See if this code works - goes in the same sheet module, delete the other event code.

Upvote 0
I am getting the following error when I paste it.

Compile error:

Ambiguous name detected: Worksheet_Calculate

Cathy

Upvote 0
You already have a Worksheet_Calculate event macro on that sheet.

We need to either A] delete that one or, B] incorporaste this one into it.

Can have at most 1 of any event-type macro on a sheet.

Upvote 0
Jon: Here is the other calculate code that is in that worksheet. Where do I put your code?

Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
Dim var As Variant
var = Range("j8").Value

If VarType(var) = vbDouble Then
Dim val As Double
val = var

If val >= 95.73 Then
' uncomment the next line to place the order
'Call Order3
End If
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OALes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back