Link to Excel data embedded in Power Point fails

goodtower

I have an excel file embedded in a power point. (Both are 2007 for Windows running under XP).
A VBA program extracts certain data and inserts it into text in the Power Point. This is working.
I am trying to do something simpler which is to display a block of cells by linking them. If I use copy/past to add a block of cells as a link to a new slide the data appears but will not update if the embedded and linked spreadsheet is changed. If I double click on the linked image in PP I get the message "The linked file was unavailable and cant be updated". If I save and close and then try to reopen the PP I get the message "Some linked files were unavailable and cant be updated".
It appears that PP can find a linked file if it is an independent file but not if it is embedded inside itself.
I embedded the Excel in the PP to avoid having to keep two different files together since there are many of these pairs for different clients.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back