load only one instance(no duplicates)

white6174

Board Regular
What I'm trying to do is use either data validation or a list box and have it loaded with text from a range (B4:B100) and have it not load duplicates.

Any ideas would be appreciated

thanks steve w

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
I am absolutely amazed by the wealth of knowledge that was displayed in this post, especially Aladins, Brilliant!

Upvote 0
Just wanted to improve on Mark W's database approach. There is no need to go throught the Data->Get External Data... wizard/query environment.

Assuming the filename 'c:\temp\querySelf.xls' and the original list is in a range name OrigList and the header of the original list is 'List', array enter the following into a suitably large range:

=SQL.REQUEST("DSN=Excel Files;DBQ=C:\temp\queryself.xls";;4;"SELECT DISTINCT List FROM `C:\temp\queryself`.OrigList WHERE (List<>'')";FALSE)

A more easily maintainable approach is to place to connection and query strings in e.g. cells E2 and E3 respectively (without double quotes) and the formula becomes:

=SQL.REQUEST(E2;;4;E3;FALSE)

That is pretty much for everybody to do. No wizards, no need to manually update query.

Goblin

Upvote 0
Aladin,

Excellent (y)

For the VBA-approaches I´m confused why all approaches involves looping through the range.

After all, reading cellvallues into an array (variant) and then loop through the array is much faster.

Nevertheless, excellent Aladin!

Dennis

Upvote 0
Hi all,

Awesome post!

I was succesfully able to use SQL.request on another notebook, could someone please post an example of using SQL.request on the same notebook, same sheet.

I don't know why I can't seem to get it to work...

He's what I did:
SQL.xls
ABCDE
1List
2ADSN=ExcelFiles,DBQ=C:\Cort\testss\SQL.xls
3ASELECTAAA,BBBFROMtTableWHEREAAA=A
4A
5BFilename:SQL.xls
6CPath:C:\Cort\testss\
7DCriteria:=A
8E
9FSingle:#N/A
10F
11FArray:#N/A#N/A
12G#N/A#N/A
13H#N/A#N/A
14I#N/A#N/A
15J#N/A#N/A
Excel

Thanks for any help!

Upvote 0
Thanks Juan,

That took way too long to figure out.

It ended up being this stupid quote: `
that was messing me up. I was trying to use a straight single quote. It's always a **** quote...

but...yes...

Perfecto!

I like this SQL.request method...very cool and useful, too (not to detract from any other solutions on the page, I like the SQL because of the versatility that the SQL string allows for data retreival for situations beyond just eliminating duplicates).

Take care,

Upvote 0
Aladin Akyurek said:
What method should be prefered?

(1) Method 3, if you can realize the required setup.

(2) Method 2, if (1) cannot be realized.

(3) Method 1b, if (2) is not possible, simply because your users cannot add required add-in...

What follows is a revised, considerably faster version of Method 1, which figures for a great deal in...

http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=59957

involving a query about a conditional unique list (a list without duplicates).

The data is the same data as in this thread:

B3:B17 in Sheet1 houses...

{"List";"damon";"aladin";"mark";"chris";"juan";"mark";"";"julie";"bob";"brian";"brian";"steve";"aladin";"ricky"}

"List" in B3 is a label. The actual data starts at row 4.

We want to extract a list of unique items to a different worksheet,Adminin this case.

Since B4:B17 is of "text" type, let first define BigStr...

Activate Insert|Name|Define.
EnterBigStras name in the Names in Workbook box.
Enter the following formula in the Refers to box:

=REPT("z",255)

Click OK.

Activate Admin.

In A2 enter:

=MATCH(BigStr,Sheet1!B:B)

In A3 enter:

=A2-(CELL("Row",Sheet1!B4)-1)

In A4 enter, merely for cosmetic reasons:

="Sorted "&Sheet1!B3

In A5 enter and copy down:

=IF((Sheet1!B4<>"")*ISNA(MATCH(Sheet1!B4,Sheet1!$B$3:B3,0)),SUMPRODUCT((Sheet1!B4>OFFSET(Sheet1!$B$4,0,0,$A$3,1))+0)+1,"")

In B3 enter:

=COUNT($B$5:INDEX(B:B,A3+ROW(A5)-1))

In B4 enter:

Rank [ which is just a label ]

In B5 enter and copy down:

=IF(A5<>"",RANK(A5,$A$5:INDEX(A:A,$A$3+ROW($A$5)-1),1)+COUNTIF($A$5:A5,A5)-1,"")

In C4 enter, merely for cosmetic reasons:

="Uniquified "&Sheet1!B3

In C5 enter and copy down:

=IF(ROW()-ROW($D$5)+1<=$B$3,INDEX(Sheet1!$B$4:INDEX(Sheet1!B:B,$A$3+ROW($A$5)-1),MATCH(ROW()-ROW($D$5)+1,$B$5:INDEX(B:B,$A$3+ROW($A$5)-1),0)),"")

The above formula replaces the lengthy array formula, improving speed considerably.

If you're willing to adapt Russell Hauf's code in

http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=32375&start=0

to use the info in B3 and copy down A5:C5 as far as required in order to make the system of formulas to work fully automatically.

Upvote 0
This is the adapted version of Russell's code, to fit Aladin's new Method 1.

The code goes in the Admin sheet module, to make it completely "independent" of all the sheets, and based on the results of the formulas.

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Option</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Explicit</SPAN>

<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'Admin sheet module</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Worksheet_Calculate()
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Static</SPAN> PrevCounter <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> NumRows <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> PrevCounter <> Me.Range("A3").Value <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN>
        PrevCounter = Me.Range("A3").Value
        Me.Range("A6:C65536").ClearContents
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> PrevCounter < 2 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN>
        Me.Range("A5:C5").AutoFill Destination:=Me.Range("A5:C5").Resize(PrevCounter)
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN>
HandleErr:
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Select</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Case</SPAN> Err.Number
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Case</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Else</SPAN>
        MsgBox Err.Description, vbCritical, "Error in Worksheet_Change Event"
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Select</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back