Math problem (excel formula)

ebea

Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all! Are there out in the Forum, one or other person, with good math understanding? I need some help, to find a way to calculate an outer measure (outer to outer of the bend), on a pipe which are bended 2 times, in an angle on 180 degrees on each, and to make a formula in Excel, for this!
I can best illustrate it, with a drawing. I have uploaded the drawing on Dropbox, as I cannot post attachments here!
I know D = Total lenght of the pipe
I know A = inner diameter of the bend
I know B = gap on the pipe
I need to find C

https://www.dropbox.com/s/32b8iv2ze5mw29k/pipe-bend.png?dl=0

Thanks

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
I feel that the formula part might be relatively simple once the math problem has been solved!

Is the total length of the pipe ‘D’ the inner or outer length?

Also, do you have example numbers for the known lengths that we can use?

Upvote 0
Hi,

I also need to know the Thickness or overall diameter of the Pipe itself, do you have that?

Upvote 0
Hi, and thanks for reply! Let me put in some measurements, to make it maybe a bit easier.
D is the total lenght (outer), and can be as example = 166 mm (small measurements)
The pipe thickness can be 6 mm
But the A, B, D is measurements which can be changed in cells, which holds these numbers. I need to end up with a calculation in a cell, where the result C is shown up. It's for calculation of the outer lenght on a Antenna Dipol (yagi antenna).

I hope this help.

Upvote 0
Hi, and thanks for you'r reply! Look into my answer in #4 . I hope it cover what was missing in original question ;)

Upvote 0
Hi, and thanks for reply! Let me put in some measurements, to make it maybe a bit easier.
D is the total lenght (outer), and can be as example = 166 mm (small measurements)
The pipe thickness can be 6 mm
But the A, B, D is measurements which can be changed in cells, which holds these numbers. I need to end up with a calculation in a cell, where the result C is shown up. It's for calculation of the outer lenght on a Antenna Dipol (yagi antenna).

I hope this help.

Hi,

This should be accurate to the extend that the Bends at both ends are perfect Half Circles, if not, at least this should get you started on building the logic for a formula:

Book1
ABCDE
1Inner Bend DiameterGap LengthTotal LengthPipe Thickness(Diameter)
Sheet21
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2=(D2+B2-2*PI()*(A2+E2*2))/2+A2+E2*2

A B D and E2 are user input values.

Upvote 0
#6 - Thanks you jtakw - But something is not correctly, as the result can't be so! If I try to make a calculation with you'r formula, and take a "real" example, with a lenght (actually it's a wave length, determined from a frequenzy). The higher Frequenzy, the shorter the length will be. But the Bend will still be nearly the same, and also the Pipe thickness!

Length = 166 mm
Inner bend = 25 mm
Gap = 15 mm
Pipe thickness = 6 mm
It gives a result with you'r formula, on 11.3 - But the result should be close to 65.0 in this case

Upvote 0
Sorry, I used the diameter rather than the radius in my formula, this one is corrected:

Book1
ABCDE
1Inner Bend DiameterGap LengthTotal LengthPipe Thickness(Diameter)
Sheet21
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2=(D2+B2-2*PI()*(A2/2+E2))/2+A2+E2*2

Upvote 0
Thank you, jtakw - it was a great help :) - I could'n "crack the Nut"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qh017

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back