Merging 2 Tables Into 1 Table

PhantomJoe

I have 2 tables that I am trying to figure out a less painful way of merging into a single table or identifying some other method to link the 2 tables.

I currently have 2 tables that report on supplier information. Table 1 shows by supplier what category or categories that supplier supports.
There are 9 different categories that a supplier can support with a column indicating yes or no as to whether that supplier supports that category.
Here's an example of the headers for that table:
Supplier NameCategoryYes/No

<tbody>
</tbody>

The 2nd table is a supplier table that shows what sites that supplier supports.
Here's an example of the headers for that table:
Supplier NameSite

<tbody>
</tbody>

In the Sites table a supplier can support 200 or more sites (so naturally there would be a row for each site per supplier).

The goal is to use this data to quickly see what suppliers need to receive requisitions. The order in which it would be determined would be to first filter on the site to find which suppliers support that site and then filter down by category to see which suppliers support both the site and the category. And this file needs to be simple enough that I can hand it off.

At the moment it's 2 different tables on separate worksheets (in the same workbook) and it requires manually filtering to the site (in the Sites table) to get the supplier list and then cross-referencing that list against the category table to find the population that need to receive the particular requisition.

I'm hoping there's a way to either link these tables together or to identify some process that I've not thought of to make this search more automated.

Any help is appreciated.

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
I made a small example... maybe it works for you...

Code:
{=IF(NOT(ISERROR(MATCH(1,(H1=A:A)*(I1=B:B)*("Yes"=C:C),0))),IF(NOT(ISERROR(MATCH(1,(H1=E:E)*(J1=F:F),0))),"OK","NOPE"),"NOPE")}

(this is an array formula and you need to press Ctrl+Shift+Enter, it will create the surrounding {} do not type those)

pUIRLBL.png

it first makes sure the company handles the category and then make sure the company serves the site and if both true, it prints "OK"

Note: H1:J1 are the inputs for the company you are checking

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I really appreciate the response but this doesn't work from a process standpoint. Meaning that the team I hand this off to won't be checking individual suppliers to see if they service a site and category. What they will be doing is creating a list of suppliers that meet their criteria. So instead of checking every single supplier 1 at a time I'd like to find a solution that allows the user to filter on a specific value in the Sites table and based on that returned list of suppliers then show them which suppliers support what categories.

Upvote 0
You can merge with a Pivot Table using the Data Model or you can Merge the tables using Get & Transform.

Upvote 0
You can merge with a Pivot Table using the Data Model or you can Merge the tables using Get & Transform.

I had initially tried combining both worksheets into a single Pivot Table using the data model but I don't know if it's operator error or an issue with the way the tables/data are arranged on the different worksheets but I could not build a Pivot Table that was meaningful.

Also, I'm operating on Excel 2013 to Get and Transform is not available.

Upvote 0
Make both ranges tables using CTRL+T, and give the Tables meaningful names.
You can use the Data\Connections command to add each Table to the Data Model.
Select a blank sheet, use Insert\Pivot Table command and make sure you select the Use External Data source, Choose Connection and look for the This Workbooks DataModel.
Then choose the fields to drop into the Pivot Table. When you add from a different Table of the Data Model, you should get a relationship warning. The window may not read very clear, but your unique list should be on the lower selection. IF you get an error message about not having unique values, you may need to create a third table that list the items 1 time only and add that table to the model. It will serve as an intermediary table.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iammikeysoft2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back