Need Excel VBA macro to fetch data from notepad

yourskarthik

I have different notepads say notepad1, 2 3 and so on. I have to import data from notepads to excel..

All the notepads are stored in a directory (common folder) after importing data from first notepad, the code has to calculate the end of the row automatically and insert the data from notepad2 to next row and so on..

Also, I need a separate column to say from which notepad the data is fetched (say I should have column to display notepad1 for the data fetched from notepad1)

Appreciate if somebody can help me on this.

to follow on this thread on getting data on notepad, how to make a auto back up data from notepad, like from path "c:\temp\*.txt" when it detects the data on notepad change it will make a back up and save to "c\back up data" with date/time stamp/hostname stamp.
Is it possible to make?

hope you will understand my english :D

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Wow, I wonder what I was doing in July 2010 that I didn't respond to the original poster?

Justine
Detect the data on Notepad (text file) has changed?
You would need to process the file.
You would need something to compare it to.
It is possible, but depending on the file size, number of files, it could prove a laborious task.

A simpler approach may be to keep track of when the file was last modified, if it differs, back up the file, update last modified date.

It would depend on how the text files are generated.
Berite

Upvote 0
Bertie

You did respond to the OP, you were the last person to post to the original thread.

Upvote 0
Code:
Option Explicit

Const myPath = "c:\temp
Const delim = " "
Const delim = vbTab
how to combine this two delim code, It always says "Complie Error Ambiguous Name Detected: Delim"

Upvote 0
The ambiguity is that you have two variables with the same name, "delim". I used this variable name to denote the text file deliminator, i.e., comma, space, tab, etc.

Off the top of my head, if you want to allow the user to select the type of deliminator I suppose you could use an input box, then use a Select Case statement to determine the user's choice. Something like:

Rich (BB code):
Sub test()
   Dim myDeliminator  As Long
   Dim delim As String

myDeliminator = Application.InputBox("Select deliminator:" & vbCrLf & _
                                       "1. Tab" & vbCrLf & _
                                       "2. Space" & vbCrLf & _
                                       "3. Comma", Type:=1)

Select Case myDeliminator
      Case Is = 1
         delim = vbTab
      Case Is = 2
         delim = " "
      Case Else
         delim = ","
   End Select

End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi Bertie,

thanks for the code that you give, I try to put and run the module but a window pop up and ask to choose one of the three selection, I need to run only the deliminator Tab and Space at the same time so I can get the specific data that I want to get. and how I can insert it on the whole module.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strawberrish

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back