Pass password for an ODBC link to an Oracle DB.

jag108

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
I have multiple sheets extracting varied amounts of data, I need to update these sheets regularly through the day. Is it possible to pass the password to the prompt that appears upon every sheets login to the DB.

I am using an Oracle73 set up in the database administrator for win NT 4(ha ha win NT 4 you say)
Please say yes :)

You should add the password to the connection string in the same way you add the user id (UID) but use password=xxxx
>>> Once you connect in MSQuery it should hold [assume you are using MSQuery most do] so when teh code runs its in.

It's best this way and not saved with the query as a secure system would insist the user changes their password often, your query with the saved password would only work for the period your password was 'live'
>>> Sorry i do not agree if this ODBC is at work, which it must that by nor there, if you are an OP on YOUR System them security should nolt be an issue, under NT technologies its VERY hard to break in and the IT dept shopuld have screensaver PW protected for inctivity and so on, ODBC is not critical and takes time to get any amount of data worth stealing or un management authorised and add to the fact its not so easy to get the data unless you know exactly how to do this - you will know me well enough - i can not see the threat on that - just cant see it. If this guy the OP is having troubles and hes got teh task to do at work, then that highlights the point - IM NOT PICKNG just offering a view [ as you have seen i used ODBC a lot]

This way is still safe as you could use an input box to prompt for the password.
>> prompt is best but as i have explained.
ODBC i feel should be kept simple!!

If you want ti to be totally run in the backgropund with no user input then add it to the script or save it as previously mentioned - but make sure your sys admin keeps one account open for you which does not require password changes - and NEVER let on to an auditor !!!
>>> anyone will know soon as its run if they know of ODBC,,

Should get up and running soon, i would suggest the ICT Dept are approacted as we seem to be hitting issues and there could be complex issues assigned to teh ODBC licence say to many guys logged in so the link faults you might not as i was not be allocated to take a lcence cal from the corperate server wherethe remonte install will be located.

Just some history and knowledge there that i hope helps a bit - OK express my way i work total sucess and what i do - i cant say im right just expression my opions.

Kind regards

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Sorted, I used
"ODBC;DSN=esmr.airnz.co.nz;UID=MY_UID/MY_PASSWORD;DBQ=ESMR.AIRNZ.CO.NZ;ASY=OFF;",
Works fine.
I have put a password on the workbook and the code, so that should stop any would be hackers.

Thanks everyone for the prompt response.

Upvote 0
Sorted!!!
I used
(Connection:="ODBC;DSN=MY_SERVER;UID=MY_UID/MYPASSWORD;DBQ=MY_ORACLE_DB;ASY=OFF;Destination:=Range("A1")

Thanks everyone for the prompt assistance.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevejhonsy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back