Pivot pull-down shows non-existing choices

XL_sunshine

Hi. I'm pulling data from Access into a pivot table. I refresh the data every month, changing the query in MS Query to span a 12 month period. That is, I go from January to December of last year, and the next month I change that to go from February of last year to January of this year. My problem is that when pressing the arrow that shows the pull down menu with the choices in one of the fields, I get choices that don't have data. For example, in the Region field I would get North America, EMEA, Asia, (blank) and Germany, when there are no records with (blank) or with Germany at this time. Maybe there were some records with those entries in the past, but those were mistakes that were fixed in the Access database; there are no records for the period of time I'm pulling that have those words in that field. I don't want them to show as choices. Is re-making the pivot table my only choice? It doesn't make any difference if I check or not the "show items with no data" check box for that field. Thanks.

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Hi, and welcome to the Board!

As far as I know this is a known bug in Excel 2003 and before. Drives me nuts!
I remember reading on the Excel 2007 blog that this issue was meant to be fixed in 2007, but that doesn't help if you aren't using it...

Unfortunately the only workaround I've found is to re-create the PT.

Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aurelius33

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back