read-only data entry form, not sure why

miconian

I set up this simple query, and then clicked the 'split form' button to turn it into a form.

It works great, except that I can't edit current records, and can't add new records. I'm not sure why. I must be missing something obvious, but I'm relatively new to forms.

Thanks for your help. Here's the query on which the form is based.

SELECT Campaigns.*, [Order Lines].[Order Line], [Order Lines].[Product ID], [Order Lines].[Billing Method], [Order Lines].[Start Date], [Order Lines].[End Date], [Campaigns-Reps].[Sales Rep]
FROM (Campaigns INNER JOIN [Campaigns-Reps] ON Campaigns.[Campaign ID] = [Campaigns-Reps].[Campaign ID]) INNER JOIN [Order Lines] ON Campaigns.[Campaign ID] = [Order Lines].[Campaign ID];

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Update: I sort of fixed the problem, but not in an adequate way.

I removed the [Campaigns-Reps] table from the equation, so now the query is:

SELECT Campaigns.*, [Order Lines].[Order Line], [Order Lines].[Product ID], [Order Lines].[Billing Method], [Order Lines].[Start Date], [Order Lines].[End Date]
FROM Campaigns INNER JOIN [Order Lines] ON Campaigns.[Campaign ID] = [Order Lines].[Campaign ID];

So now the form allows me to edit and add records...

BUT! I want the Campaigns-Reps table to be part of the form. Each campaign can have one or more reps. The user should be able to add them using the same form. How do I get there from here?

Upvote 0
This seems hard to answer without knowing your table structure/design. It feels somehow not right to me, but that's very subjective. What is it that you are doing here - what's this data about?

Upvote 0
Thanks for your interest, xenou. I was actually just trying to figure out how to add a third subform with a datasheet view. The ready-made split form setup wasn't allowing me to do it the way I wanted.

Since posting, I have figured it out on my own. So I apologize if my question was premature.

I'm happy with my schema for now, and explaining the use of the database is a bit of a task, so I may save that for my next post. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adunn_23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back