Sales Performance using What if analysis: Scenario Manager, Goal Seek or Data table??

Viriathus

Hello ,

I have attached a case problem that I am trying to figure out the best way to approach it.
Basically I am being asked to create a What If scenario (a monthly financial tool) that allows to test or change profit margins or sales volume. This scenario should allow also time parameter as it asks that expected margin is reached within 24 or 36 months depending on the product. I understand the problem however I am not sure what is the best way to present it. Does it need to be a what if scenario that allows changes to profit margin % and time in months? Or should I show a monthly data table that portrays monthly values by column with the respective cost, sales and margin? It is obviously more complex as there a couple more variables. Including the fact that in the problem the company expect to make the sales of the chairs within the 1st year.
Any input on which is the best way to present this via what if analysis is appreciated.

Chair Input Cells
Total Cost $200,000.00
Gross Profit $100,000.00
Profit Margin 33.33%
Term(months) 12
Sales % 1st year 80%
Sales % 2nd year 20%
Stock Qty 20000

Table Tops Input Cells
Total Cost $100,000.00
Gross Profit $25,000.00
Profit Margin 20.00%
Term(months) 36
Sales % 1st year 60%
Sales % 2nd year 30%
Sales % 3rd year 10%
Stock Qty 5000

here is the problem:
1. A local furniture chain that sells chairs and tables. The company has only one type of chair (Relaxer) and one type of table (Boca Top). Currently, the company has 20,000 Relaxers and 5,000 Boca Tops in stock; the book values are $200,000 and $100,000 respectively. Warren’s furniture expects to sell the existing stock of chairs over the next 24 months. The tables are slower moving; however, they should be fully depleted within 36 months. The company expects to receive an overall gross profit of $100,000 for the Relaxers and $25,000 for the Boca Tops. The company expects that 80% of the Relaxer sales will be in year 1 and 20% in years 2. The Boca Top sales are expected to be 60% in year 1, 30% in year 2, and 10% in year 3.

Please create a monthly financial tool that will show the performance of Warren’s chair and table sales over the next three years. The company should also be able to test different profit margins and different sales run-offs by year (i.e., What if monthly Relaxer sales are constant for two years or 50% per year?)

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
There are different ways and difficulty levels how you can adjust inputs in this model. Was that a job interview test?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweetfriend9

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back