Scan in Word using excel?

ikuzai

I am not sure of this is possible or not, but is there a way to run a macro in EXCEL that scans WORD documents for certain characteristics and list them back in EXCEL? I am curious if it is feasible and if it is, if someone can point me in the right direction on where to begin creating something like this.

This is essentially what I want to do.

I am a report writer and we spell out acronyms in parenthesis for the first time something is used in a document and then abbreviate it the rest of the report. The issue I have is that during final reports, a lot of the information is a compilation of multiple smaller reports where there are duplicate acronyms (in parenthesis). I want it to essentially scan the document and list all the words in parenthesis except for the first time it was used. Hope that makes sense.

Example:

Johnny goes to the National Football League (NFL) Game. <-- First time used in report, which is ok.

Johnny went to the NFL game last night <-- This is fine

Johnny plays in the National Football League (NFL) game on the a team. <-- The word "(NFL)" would be listed in excel and it has already been used in since it is an acronym in parenthesis and used in the first sentence. This would allow me to go back through and manually delete it National Football League.

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
See: https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/gener...s-acronym-meaning-extraction.html#post4751117

The code I posted there already does most of what you want. The main difference is that it's a Word macro that builds an acronym list and creates a table of them in the document. It's not clear why you'd want to send the output to Excel, but that too could be done. Further coding could be done to ensure the acronym is correctly applied to the first occurrence of the term and thereafter only the acronym is used. See, for example: Is there a way to derive the abbreviation from their full words spelling?. The code in the attachment there doesn't use a table, but it could be modified to use the table generated by the macro in the above link.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much! This is very cool. The reason I need it to list out, is so I can go through and manually delete the other times the acronyms are spelled out. I only need to spell out the acronym once and introduce the acronym. After that first time it is spelled out, I just use the acronym. If that is strictly word based, that would be awesome. I am just trying to make sifting through my documents/reports easier and not worry about duplicate spelled out acronyms. Thanks again Macropod!

Upvote 0
The reason I need it to list out, is so I can go through and manually delete the other times the acronyms are spelled out.
As I said, though, the macro in the second link automates that process - it just needs to be adapted to work with the table produced by the macro in the first link.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thnirmitha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back