Using BING MAPS get miles

CHFD13

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Ok as I read in several of the older threads GOOGLE now charges for the look up of API. I had a Excel VBA using Google Maps API. that I paid for. Well now that it is no longer recognized. Am having to start over.
Ok now that I've had my rantings...
I am the National Fire Incident Reporting Systems(NFIRS) Officer for the Center Hill Fire Protection District, (CHFPD) pronounced as SHHFud).
I do an Annual Fire Board Report, detailing all of the calls that CHFPD responded to the previous year. (Jan 1-Dec31 2022)
Also I do a MILEAGE for the Volunteer Fire Fighters as well. Because they receive a per-call stipend at the end of the year. The FF's get a 10-99 IRS ( Inflamed Rectum Syndrome ) statement as well.
All of that to get to the brass tacks. What I am currently doing is exhaustive to do each manual lookup the miles ONE WAY from the CHFD Station to each incident, Address/ Location,
I have an active BING MAPS API that I'm trying to get to work with my address listing. All of the START POINTS will be at the CHFD Station.
[A
Column is the Date, [ B Column is the NFIRS # [ C Column is the Address/ Location [ D Column is Type of Call [ E Column is the Miles to call ( G- Z are the FF's )
01/01/22 2022001 4100 Hwy 36 W [FIre] (have a pick list from) this will be a VBA GET MILES (have a Y or N box)
address will be linked to another sheet not shown

So as you can see I can get almost all of this done pretty simple But the MAPPING is driving me crazy
Thanks CHFD13

The following is the custom function I created for you:

VBA Code:
Function DistanceTo(DestinationAddress As String)
'
    Dim WebServer                       As Object
    Dim API_Key                         As String
    Dim StartAddress                    As String
    Dim StreetAddress                   As String, City                         As String, StateAddress     As String
    Dim DestinationAddressCoordinates   As String, StartAddressCoordinates      As String
    Dim WebURL                          As String
'
    API_Key = "AiWSvDiDSOyokLxBDRsHMBKDbWdlTmWx6UClmFDQHDLUD3TC31cuGxut6DMzgDo9"                                                    ' <--- Set this to your actual Bing API Key
'
'    StartAddress = "4100 AR 36, Searcy, AR"
    StartAddress = "4100 AR 36 Searcy AR"
'
    StreetAddress = Left$(StartAddress, InStrRev(StartAddress, "Searcy") - 2)
    City = "Searcy"
    StateAddress = "AR"
'
    Set WebServer = CreateObject("MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP")
'
'-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'
' Get Latitude & Longitude of the StartAddress
'
' Without zipcode
' http://dev.virtualearth.net/REST/v1/Locations/US/" & State & "/" & City & "/" & Street & "?output=xml&key=" & API_Key
    WebURL = "http://dev.virtualearth.net/REST/v1/Locations/US/" & StateAddress & "/" & City & _
            "/" & StreetAddress & "?output=xml&key=" & API_Key
'
    WebServer.Open "GET", WebURL, False
    WebServer.SetRequestHeader "User-Agent", "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0)"
    WebServer.Send ("")
'
    StartAddressCoordinates = WorksheetFunction.FilterXML(WebServer.ResponseText, "//Point/Latitude") & _
            ", " & WorksheetFunction.FilterXML(WebServer.ResponseText, "//Point/Longitude")                                         ' Get the Latitude, Longitude of the address
'
'-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'
' Get Latitude & Longitude of the DestinationAddress
    StreetAddress = Left$(DestinationAddress, InStrRev(DestinationAddress, "Searcy") - 2)
'
    WebURL = "http://dev.virtualearth.net/REST/v1/Locations/US/" & StateAddress & "/" & City & _
            "/" & StreetAddress & "?output=xml&key=" & API_Key
'
    WebServer.SetRequestHeader "User-Agent", "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0)"
    WebServer.Send ("")
'
    DestinationAddressCoordinates = WorksheetFunction.FilterXML(WebServer.ResponseText, "//Point/Latitude") & _
            ", " & WorksheetFunction.FilterXML(WebServer.ResponseText, "//Point/Longitude")                                  ' Get the Latitude, Longitude of the address
'
'
' Get the driving distance, in miles, between the two address coordinates
    WebURL = "https://dev.virtualearth.net/REST/v1/Routes/DistanceMatrix?origins=" & StartAddressCoordinates & _
            "&destinations=" & DestinationAddressCoordinates & "&travelMode=driving&o=xml&key=" & API_Key & "&distanceUnit=mi"      ' Set the URL to go to
'
    WebServer.Send ("")
'
    DistanceTo = Round(WorksheetFunction.FilterXML(WebServer.ResponseText, "//TravelDistance"), 1) & " miles"                  ' Get the distance between the two addresses
End Function

After you add that code to a module, you will be able to use a formula in a cell to show the distance from the station to the address.

The formula to put into a cell after adding that custom function is something like:
= DistanceTo(C3)

That will calculate the driving distance from the station to the address.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent Khandagale

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back