Spoonfeeding

Spoon feed posters?

• Don't really care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
That was very polite of you. Now, let me politely respond and just say that after 1 or 2 such responses from an OP that it is perfectly ok to politely tell them to go get bent.

I am extremely happy that there are folks out there in the world who spend the time to answer specific questions. I've tried to do homework first and avoid asking a question I should have been able to find out the answer to. However, "Help" is not that helpful, especially if you have Excel 2000 where the Index list has been removed apparently at the behest of Bill Gate's enlightened wisdom. Thankfully at work we still clunk along with Excel 97. I love it! Excel is my friend.

I have two of Walkenbachs big fat books, but trying to find the answer in there is some real tough sledding.

Now I know that I need a good basic education in VBA, but it's not too likely to happen anytime soon.

So, answers like, "Have you tried the help function?" won't be very useful to me. I think the internet term would be "Waste of Bandwidth"

And finally thank you to all those folks who have given me detailed exact information. The snippets and bits and pieces of code provided by members of this forum have really helped me put together spreadsheets that real people actually use.

OK, I'm not done yet. I've tried to answer some questions of the questions that others have posted up here. I think I owe it to the baord to at least try. My success in that regard has been limited.

tbardoni said:
That was very polite of you. Now, let me politely respond and just say that after 1 or 2 such responses from an OP that it is perfectly ok to politely tell them to go get bent.

So at this point would you be offended if I extended an invitation to attest to the warmth of the eternal hereafter? :biggrin:

StACase:

Keep up the good work. If you can point someone in the right direction without having the exact code, it's to everyones benefit. I know I learn from that too...

TryingToLearn said:
So at this point would you be offended if I extended an invitation to attest to the warmth of the eternal hereafter? :biggrin:
How could I be offended when you say it so politely? :biggrin:

StACase said:
So, answers like, "Have you tried the help function?" won't be very useful to me. I think the internet term would be "Waste of Bandwidth"

While I don't necessarily *like* giving responses like that, sometimes it is hard to gauge the knowledge level of the poster and what they may have/have not done.

So you either run the chance of offending the poster because they think you're insulting their intelligence, or going WAY over their heads because they're a beginner. And other times, you're just hoping that the nudge in the right direction will allow them to work it out on their own, or at least to an extent.

Which is why we like posts that give more information such as little mentions of things you've tried on your own, etc. And also why we made the Posting tips and general information thread.

:)

While I don't necessarily *like* giving responses like that, sometimes it is hard to gauge the knowledge level of the poster and what they may have/have not done. - [Von Pookie]

Sounds to me like you *have* given answers like that. tsk tsk!

A good answer to remind someone that they should try to help themselves first would be something along the lines of, "The help function says, "Bla...bla...bla..." Or the so & so site [link] says....

Well any way, I'm way over my 2¢ worth.

Well, it seems to me, based on my experience, that the help files are problematic because people do not know where to start.

E.g., If you check out the 'FindNext Method Example,' you'll find an example that is as good as any starting point, while it might be less convoluted due to the lack of semantics of the quandary posted in a thread here!

I can see little wrong with pointing someone in the direction of a pertinent help file!

well I argued a while back that the Search facility is not utilised enough and the majority seemed to agree however I accept that some people are just dropped in the **** and need an answer from someone asap. However as has been repeated on numerous occasions in this post - it all comes down to the end user as to whether or not they learn from an immediate solution or not - if they choose not to (as has been my experience on occasion in the past) then you simply don't reply to their posts...let others do it who are not so bothered about their apparent apathy.

I remember fondly when I first joined how much I enjoyed giving (albeit not perfect :D) solutions repeatedly - even if they were repetitive in nature..and could have been solved by the user themselves with a bit of graft on the net, or in XL help etc etc... now being a bitter and twisted Mr E user I rarely post, or rather I post on the topics that not many others seem too (SQL stuff) and leave the other questions to be solved by those who are happy too.

Mr E is undoubtedly a superb site and the best XL resource around - I have learnt an unbelievable amount from the posters here from newbies to MVPs - especially from the likes of NateO, XL-Denis, DK, Andy P, Mark O, Juan, Ivan, Aladin etc... regardless of how 'good' we are I bet we're all still picking up better ways of doing things from here.

But after all that long winded drivel I still think more should be made of the search engine - and more emphasis be made of Kristy's Tips for New Posters etc... :devilish:

Some of the post on this board can be very intimidating for someone that is trying to learn. Some of the anwsers are very confusing if you are just learning. This is because you don't understand the terms because you haen't learned them all. No one was born knowing everything about Excel or anything else for that mater. We all had to learn, and we all had to have someone willing to help.
This is a great learning site, and I have learned from it. I've not been using exel but a few months and that's only when I have time.
I've never expected to be spoon fed, and appreciate any instruction I can get. This site is a help site where so folks can help each other.
I drove a 18 wheeler for 24 yrs and it took 30 yrs for me to go back to school and get a GED. It took me asking for help and having people that wanted to help for me to do that.
So I guess it all comes down to if you want help ask, and if you want to help, then help. But don't complain when people don't understand unless you are willing to really help.
I may be out of line and offend some one but that is not my intent.

Windsinc

I think you're right on the money. I also don't think anyone's complaining. After bringing in a rig for repair, consider this dialog:
"Hi, I need you to fix my rig"
"Sure, whats wrong with it?"
"It's not working right, but it's important you fix it fast cause I have to get back on the road right away."
"Where would you like me to start"
"By fixing it."
"Ok, but what's not working right?"
"The rig's not working right, now fix it please so I can get going"
"I'll see what I can do."... "Ok, I found the tires needed air and you should be ok now. Just make sure you run through your checklist before hitting the road"
"Thanks, but the wipers still aren't working right and check the rest of the list so I can get back on the road now"

I think this is a lot of what is being addressed in this thread.

Just my 2¢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back