Summary tables for data sheets

RICKDM

I want to create a summary table for a large range of data. For each day, I have logged 20 samples of airbourne particles. I would like to create a summary table that returns the daily average, becauase I am eventually going to chart the data along with the average and standard deviation. On "Sheet 1", I have my data, and on "Sheet 2", I want to have the summary table. I am somewhat familiar with the VLOOKUP command, is this the best tool to use?

For instance: in my summary table (Sheet 2), the first column is date (6/13/2011, 6/14/2011, etc). The second column is average for that date, and the third is standard deviation for that date. In my data sheet (Sheet 1), the first column is date (each date has 30 rows dedicated to it for each data reading) and the 4th column is the data reading. I want to combine those 20 rows for each date into my 1 row summary table on sheet 2.

So, can I type in a function to my summary table for the date "6/11/2011" that grabs the average reading of "sheet 1, column 4" for every reading that has the date "6/11/2011" in "column 1, sheet 1"?

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lee_ray

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back