the same drop down boxes

lofty2474

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, I am brand new to access, can I have the same drop down boxes in the data sheet and the form so that I can enter data either way?

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
To put it simply, users should not enter data directly into tables - only via forms. The direct answer is yes, but it requires that you use lookup fields, which is something else you really should not do.

Upvote 0
Solution
To put it simply, users should not enter data directly into tables - only via forms. The direct answer is yes, but it requires that you use lookup fields, which is something else you really should not do.
Thank you for your reply. Entering data direct to the table would only be done by myself on a second sweep as my workflow requires that I see the data in that format. As I said I am new to this and am trying to find solutions to a quite specific work flow. The form works perfectly for the first data entered but I then have to draw data from a further 2 sources and the table format works better for this. Any suggestions ?

Upvote 0
Can you tell us about the work flow? Include some info re who, what, when, how much and how often to help put it all into context. The 30,000 ft level is fine for starters.

As micron advised-- best not to add/edit info directly in Tables.

Upvote 0
With no clue as to what your db looks like or what it's sujpposed to do, consider either a form based on a query that uses those 3 tables, or a main form / subform design. The 3 table query likely will make the form not editable (you can test a query for this before bothering to make a form that's based on the query). If you can't edit in the query you can't do it in the form if you need to. That's when the form/subform is likely needed - or your tables might not be properly normalized. Suggest you research db normalization if you're not sure. No reflection on you, but most Excel users have no clue that db tables should not resemble spreadsheets. Data entry in tables is oft fraught with later complications, including orphaned records.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patupaiarehe

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back