Word multiplied by number to create a list.

nac1987

Hi there,
Funny one this... easy to explain, perhaps, yet a bit tricky when asked how to solve it! Can anyone help me?

I have 2 columns.

Column A is data, for example a name Nigel, Greg, Betty.
Columb B is a number, besides 'Nigel' will be 3, next to Greg, perhaps 2, Betty has a 5 next to her name, etc.

I want to have a list somewhere else that is being populated by writing out the long-hand version of this data, so it would write:

Nigel
Nigel
Nigel
Greg
Greg
Betty
Betty
Betty
Betty
Betty

With each name repeated by the number, and in a new cell, thanks to someone's previous help I have this sort of working (but I can't attach the file :( ), but now I'd like it to do the following... can anyone help adjust the formula?? :)

A) Can the formula be adjusted to not display a name at all if a zero is present next to a name?

And an even trickier one...

B) Within the list of names that grows, can there be pre-determined cells to skip?
For example if column D was the big list of names using your formula, could I have previously specified that D39 (and some other specified cells) must be skipped?
So that if I needed 5 x Graham, and it occupied D36, D37, D38, D40, and D41? Because I didn't want it to overwrite what I'd already written in D39.

Thank you so much to anyone that can help, in any way.

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
The formula I have currently:

Column A - Names
Column B - Numbers

Column D - This:

=IF(INDEX(B:B,MATCH(D1,A:A,0))>COUNTIF( $D$1:D1,D1),D1,OFFSET($A$1,MATCH(D1,A:A,0),0))

Please see above for the 2 extra things I wish it could do! ;)

Thank you again for your time and consideration :biggrin:

Upvote 0
Hi.

=IF(ROWS($1:1)>SUM($B$1:$B$3),"",INDEX($A$1:$A$3,MATCH(TRUE,MMULT(N(ROW($A$1:$A$3)>=TRANSPOSE(N(INDEX(ROW($A$1:$A$3),,)))),$B$1:$B$3)>=ROWS($1:1),0)))

Regards

Upvote 0
Hi.

=IF(ROWS($1:1)>SUM($B$1:$B$3),"",INDEX($A$1:$A$3,MATCH(TRUE,MMULT(N(ROW($A$1:$A$3)>=TRANSPOSE(N(INDEX(ROW($A$1:$A$3),,)))),$B$1:$B$3)>=ROWS($1:1),0)))

Regards

This is good! My data is such:

Nigel 3
Greg 2
Betty 5
Bill 0
Graham 19

The formula doesn't show Bill any more :) But it also won't display Graham now either. :(

I know I'm a pain...

Upvote 0

Nigel 3
Greg 2
Betty 5
Bill 0
Graham 19

The formula doesn't show Bill any more :) But it also won't display Graham now either. :(

I know I'm a pain...

XOR formula is array formula, you need to press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER button together, and then copied down

Upvote 0
That's great!

How many questions can I ask before someone shouts at me?

This is almost there.

The formula breaks down with a value error when it finds a blank row (beyond the list of names). Sorry, I'm way out my depth here! :)

Upvote 0

Nigel 3
Greg 2
Betty 5
Bill 0
Graham 19

I know I'm a pain...

If your data isn't actually in the range A1:B3, then you need to adjust the references in my formula accordingly, i.e. $A$1:$A$3 and $B$1:$B$3 to e.g. $A$1:$A$5 and $B$1:$B$5, for a data range of A1:B5.

Regards

Upvote 0
If your data isn't actually in the range A1:B3, then you need to adjust the references in my formula accordingly, i.e. $A$1:$A$3 and $B$1:$B$3 to e.g. $A$1:$A$5 and $B$1:$B$5, for a data range of A1:B5.

Regards

Thanks, yes :)

But if I change the row reference in the formula to say "10", but I only have values in the rows up to 5, it doesn't work :(

The formula requires 0's in rows 6-10 instead of a blank cell, otherwise it throws a #VALUE? error-fit .:LOL:

Cheers for the assistance!

Upvote 0
If this is data...

Row\Col
A​
B​
1​
NAMEVALUE
2​
Nigel3
3​
Greg2
4​
Betty5
5​
Bill0
6​
Graham19
7​

in A2:B6, what result do you want obtain from it? Please state clearly the conditions under which the result must obtain.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sebas8956

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back